Tim Lyons

Tim Lyons

Just heard Tim has died.

I didn’t know him well, I know John better.

Nonetheless, great character, as are all the Lyons crowd.

RIP and condilences.

David

Re: Tim Lyons

I’m sure i saw Tim with De Dannan many years ago, singing and playing accordian - would it have been after Jacky Daly left? I seem to remember he sang a funny song about Mullingar. So thats 2 ex-DD members gone within a month - sad.

Tim did a short stint with "De Dannan" in 1978, Christy. I was at a concert they did in Dundee at the university, as was "Ptarmigan", if I remember correctly. "De Dannan" came back to Scotland the following year, 1979, and by then Jacky Daly had joined. I have a recording of Tim singing the song you refer to - I’ll try to put it up on "Youtube" later today. Tim did some great songs with the band, quite a few of them comic in nature, but was also an excellent ballad singer, and melodeon player. It was him I got "Kerry Mills" barndance from, at that concert - posted here somwhere. I met him a few more times in the 1980s when he toured the Scottish folk clubs with Fintan Vallely. He was always great fun to be with, and this is yet another loss to traditional Irish music.
My condolences to his family and many, many friends, musical and otherwise.

Posted by .

Sad news indeed. Kenny, I still have my tape of the 1978 Nottingham tour concert. Tim sang "The Lamentation for the Price of a Pig" and "Mick Sullivan’s Clock" at that one.

A fine singer and musician, condolences to all his connections.

thanks Kenny, yes every bit as amusing as I remember. Any melodeon geeks out there remember what box he played, i seem to remember a vintage Hohner [Black Dot?] but difficult to tell from the pic above.

Had a closer look at the picture, Christy. The box has "Double Ray" on it.

Posted by .

I see it now Kenny, thanks - I believe ‘Double Ray ’ and ‘Black Dot’ were pretty much synonymous, unless anyone wants to put me right.

Tim Lyons is mentioned in Packie Manus Byrne’s autobiography, Recollections of a Donegal Man. Packie is talking about a period when he entered singing competitions.

"The one I was proudest of was in 1962-63, and that was the All-Ireland Fleá Cheoil an Raidió. Seán O Riada, Seán O Síocháin and Ciarán Mac Mathúna were the three judges, but Seán O Riada was the chief adjudicator. It finished up with one song, but I had over thirty sung by that time: the way they worked it was that if you were won at A, you sang at B, and so on. I won a local fleá, I think it was held in Glenties. Then I won another one in Gorey or somewhere away down south, and then I was automatically entitled to sing in the final Fleá Cheoil an Raidió — that was the clear-up of all the fleás for sixty-two and sixty-three.

And who put the toughest on me in that competition was a young fellow called Tim Lyons. I think it came down to only one point, and I think it was 97 and 98 out of a hundred. ‘Twas a decent score anyway, and it was very near a draw between Tim and myself. Marie Butler came third. Tim and me spent all the money we had before we got out of Dublin."

More info. on the book at http://www.rogermillington.com/recollections.html

PS The name of the accordion model is "Double Ray" - Black dot is a nickname on account of the one hatched black button added as a positioning aid. I think this was at the suggestion of the importer, Forbes (? of Edinburgh?). Hohner put it on the tonic of the B row, further proof of their complete cluelessness about the B/C system. 🙂

thanks for the info Stiamh, if there was going to be a position mark on a B/C box where should it be? The B/C system is a mystery to me! Anyway Tim Lyons had a very different style to the other DD box players, Piggott, Daly or O’Connor………

If I had one on mine (and I don’t) it would be approx middle of the C row on the G (as that’s A on the pull and the note most often asked for by those who have to tune!)

Simple explanation - for symmetry reasons, it’s put in the middle of a row with an odd number of buttons - on most 21 button boxes, this means the outer row (11+10=21).

But if my Saltarelle Irish Bouëbe with 23 buttons (12+11=23) would have one, it would be in the middle of the inner row (A on the push, B on the pull).

I worked with as part of ‘The Wild Bees Nest’ Project in 2011. It was Tim who suggested the air I eventually used for my own composition, ‘Bram’s Gothic Lullaby’ for the Project. (he suggested using ‘The Peeler & the Goat’). Poor Tim, you will be sorely missed.

I did up a vintage Paolo Sprani for him once, the one that is on the cover of ‘The Box’ tutor book.
Only met him once. Farewell Tim Lyons.