Tapping hurts the inner where my foot meets my ankle after tapping only a few seconds

Tapping hurts the inner where my foot meets my ankle after tapping only a few seconds

I do find some kind of movement to the beat helps get into the groove however the up and down is hurts on the lift after only a few.

I could try the heel stomp instead but that is distractingly loud.

Maybe some pendulum style rocking will do the trick instead, I have done that a bit with my shoulders but only once I was already going.

Re: Tapping hurts the inner where my foot meets my ankle after tapping only a few seconds

Don’t tap! It’s an annoying and totally pointless habit.

Re: Tapping hurts the inner where my foot meets my ankle after tapping only a few seconds

Apart from annoying Yhaal House, I don’t think there is any harm in tapping, as long as it’s not loud. But is it necessary? Sometimes I tap my foot and sometimes I don’t and I am not aware that it affects my playing either way - it’s just a satisfying thing that happens sometimes.

If you feel the need to tap your foot, you could try a ‘non-contact heel stomp’ - have the ball of your foot resting on the floor and thrust your heel down as if to stamp, but stop short of touching the floor. This way, you feel the pulse in your leg without it being audible.

I have never tapped for the most part but I was told that all the tradders do it so I felt it necessary to give in to peer pressure.

No in general I don’t find it helpful, technically, but if there is a really long note as an introduction then it helps me count in. Like with an intro to a jig I know there are 4 single notes of 4 beats each to count in before the jig melody begins for those few I guesss my tapping could take it but generally as I said I found it helps me get in the music the same as dancing.

Dancing you can also say has no purpose over standing adroitly listening to a music show but we do it because we enjoy it. So it isn’t that it directly has a counting purpose but rather makes me enjoy the playing more, from the little I have played around with movement while playing.

So it does have an indirect utility in that the more I am enjoying playing is the more I will wanna do it.

Maybe it is a chicken or the egg thing though in that the better I am playing the more I will be moved to move rather then the movement bringing on the good playing.

Sounds like you need a podiatrist or an orthopedic doctor more than thesession.org. πŸ™‚

Reminds me of an old Catskills comedian’s one liner:

some shmuck: "Doctor, it hurts when I do this!"

Doctor: "Well, don’t do that!" πŸ™‚

Keep on tapping whatever way it suits. Feck the begrudgers! Practice makes perfect πŸ™‚

Posted .

Tapping, stomping podorhythme! All good. A suggestion that might help is to tap the toes inside the shoe, so silent but still tapping.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mkPK93MtoVk

This is how its done…… 4 to the floor for the reel……. πŸ˜‰

For me its really dancing to the music, getting into it, letting the music lead the way. Enjoy

Keep suffering for the art.

It’s not necessary, so if it hurts, don’t do it! Watch someone else’s foot if you have to, preferably someone who’s tapping in time to the music!

I am told by some orchestral players that they either tense a calf or thigh muscle in time, or their toes. They have to do it silently because you can imagine the unwelcome added noise of a whole orchestra tapping their feet. I can sympathise with the foot/ankle pain: as we get older the joints just don’t want us to do certain things, and tension just makes it all worse. I now tend to tap only when starting a tune and the others need a lead in, the rest of the time it is mainly in my head.