Recommended uilleann pipe tunes

Recommended uilleann pipe tunes

I’m just asking anyone out there if they may have uilleann pipe tunes they may recommend a fiddle player. You can add to the discussion or just pm if you’d prefer.

Re: Recommended uilleann pipe tunes

Well, just about every pipe tune ever is accessible on the fiddle since it has a broader range and is infinitely chromatic. Can you be a little more specific? Airs, jigs, reels, hornpipes? Any pipers you particularly admire?

Although not derived from the uilleann pipes….. [highland instead]

You might want to check out Bonnie Rideout’s albums of Ceol Mor [Piobaireachd] music to get some idea of how the fiddle can adapt music originally written for the pipes.

Pay special attention to the use of "cross tuning" [i.e.: AEae, GDgd] that she employs to use the drones effectively.

It’s difficult to single out piping tunes in Irish trad, but tunes like The Morning Thrush, Lord MacDonald, and Colonel Fraser might be considered piping tunes. And I think most of the tunes with "Piper" in the title were either written by, for, or about pipers. (King of the Pipers, Piper’s Despair, Ace and Deuce of Pipering, etc.)

All of them? If you can play it on the pipes, you can play it on the fiddle. Fiddle has way more notes than pipes.