Hilarious description of a Scottish ceilidh dance

Hilarious description of a Scottish ceilidh dance

You might enjoy this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1msu8iQT3kw

P.S. My knowledge of Scottish trad tunes is rather limited - although I do of course know the Dashing White Sergeant.

Can anyone tell me the names of the tunes that follow DWS in the sketch?

Re: Hilarious description of a Scottish ceilidh dance

Thank you Mix

Brilliantly accurate! Not just a Scottish Ceilidh either; I’ve seen it when playing at Folk Festivals and obvious beginners take the plunge and are subjected to an almost RSM barking out instructions/orders and ‘Halt’ to the players as the caller in slow motion details the dance movements!

Great laugh to start the day
All the best
Brian x

Dashing White Sergeant/Aiken Drum/Bill Sutherland/can’t place it yet

It’s been going the rounds on Facebook, but I think any of us who have been to a ceilidh, whether as a would-be dancer, or a member of the band, will identify with this!

That was great! Thanks for posting.

But…. he called the ceilidh tune a "song." A SONG! Bring out the tar and feathers!

I kid, I kid. :)

He’s also mixing up the Dashing White Sergeant with an Eightsome Reel. Pah!

@Nigel Gatherer: Thanks for supplying me with the tune titles.

The tune I liked the most (although we didn’t get to hear all of it) was the last one. So if the name of it subsequently springs to your mind, please let me know - thanks!

I’ve danced so many times to that tune, Mix, but I’ve never known it’s name.

It goes something like:

X: 1
M: C|
K: A
B2|c4 cdcB|A2c2 E2cd|e2e2 fec2|e4 e2fg|
[1 a3f g2e2|f2e2 c2A2|B2e2 ^def2|e2d2 c2:|
[2 a3f g2e2|f2e2 c2A2|B2A2 F2E2|A4 A2c2|
f3g f2c2|a2g2 f3c|f3g a2g2|f4 g2f2|
e3f e2B2|g2f2 efga|b2a2 g2f2|e2d2 c2B2|
c4 cdcB|A2c2 E2cd|e2e2 fec2|e4 e2fg
|a3f g2e2|f2e2 c2A2|B2A2 F2E2|A4 A2|]

There’s a wee B# leading back in to the repeat of the A part which is optional.

I know the tune very well too. I’ve played it for rallies etc and I’m sure I’ll have it somewhere.

Actually, I rather go to a ceilidh than watch or listen to a stand up comedian any time. :-(

It is they who should come with a warning.

And we usually play the first bar of the second line as a3a g2a2, as opposed to a3f g2e2.

You’re right.
Phil and Aly play it on their "Portrait" album too.

Some more useless information for you here. The recording on the You Tube clip seems to be The Kinlochard Ceilidh Band from their "Strip The Willow" album.
I say useless because the tune is question is listed as "Old French Air" in the DWS set. This is obviously incorrect!

Needless-to-say, I must have been telling a porky further up when I said I’d never known its name. It couldn’t just pop into my head without having heard it before.

I’ve no idea of the origin, though, except that it’s quite popular with Shetlanders (and Orcadians), but that could be due to Messrs Bain and Cunningham.

For me the sketch was funniest at the start, when he played the sound of an accordion blasting out a chord, and said something like "that’s your warning to get out!"

As a former avid (rabid?) member of the RSCDS I’m not that keen on people making fun of it.

But I will say that Country Dancing is one of those things that’s boring to watch other people do, but fun to do yourself!

If you can’t occasionally "Take the pi** on yourself"….. life may be getting way too serious.

Someone who took that warning seriously at one of our gigs, Richard Cook - man scuttling along on his hands and knees trying to crawl out through a side door. His wife spotted him, and hauled him back by the scruff of the neck! "You WILL dance, dahling!"

This guy has obviously been subjected to a Glasgow University Mountaineering Club danger ceilidh (and you didn’t think the Gay Gordons was a contact sport).

"C M Hall" was composed by the late fiddler (and piper) Jim Ritchie of Glenshee, who played with Jimmy Shand and Bobby MacLeod. In my student days I once attended one of his Sunday pub sessions in Glenshee, after climbing some muckle hills. I have to admit I was as interested in the booze at that point as I was the music. Other compositions of his include "Bert’s Highland Polka", "Airlie Bobbies", "McPherson’s Bairns" and "Helen Black of Inveran".

Thanks for the info, Nigel. As ever, a mine of information.

@DonaldK; @Johnny Jay, Melody Player 2; @Nigel Gatherer …

Many thanks for the tune info - and a happy New Year to you all!

Ironically I came across this interview with Scottish actor Richard Rankin where he discusses doing ceilidh dancing for a TV show, a mishap that occurred, etc

You can jump to 2:18 for the ceilidh dance bit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyi4oSYBDgA