A Little Flute-adjust Help, Please

A Little Flute-adjust Help, Please

Over the years, I have noted that many eight-key players not only twist the foot joint so the keys are out of the way, but also remove the c and c# keys entirely. I decided to experiment and I find this opens up the sound and the volume. Good stuff. My problem is that the threaded shaft that goes through tbe grasshopper-leg joint for both keys is damaged at the top so it cannot be unscrewed. Because the keys are jointed, they simply pull apart at the joint, so the keys over the holes are gone. Still, a portion remains attached to the flute and I’d like to get the last bits removed. Suggestions?

Posted by .

Re: A Little Flute-adjust Help, Please

Having a hard time visualising. Is this a post mounted flute?
I’ve had this problem twice when repadding French flutes. I have found if it’s gunk or corrosion holding in the screws it can sometimes be release by heating. I’ve used the clean tip of a hot glue gun to heat the metal post.
If it’s block mounted you can remove the pins holding the arms in the blocks?

Posted by .

Sorry rereading maybe there’s no head on the screw to turn?
Is it a Boehm style foot?

Posted by .

Patrick, the keys are post-mounted and the slot for the screwdriver is now more of a hole, so the driver bit can’t bite.
This is my Siccama flute, btw. The foot joint is standard 8-key design.

Posted by .

Post-mount - I’d have you go to any band instrument repair. Have them extract the screw & fit you with a replacement in case you want to ever re-assemble.

Ailin - Are you happy with the way it sounds/plays now ? Also, are the C. and C#. keys functional ( when pewter plugs or pads in situ. ) ? The reason I’m asking is that sometimes the removal of a seized pivot pin on post mounted keys can involve pretty major surgery if it does not yield with easing oil and such. It might be better to leave things as they are, especially if they are in working order.

I have a Hudson Siccama that had its C# key crudely replaced with one from another flute. The thread on the axle was stripped so I couldn’t remove it from the post. I had Arthur Haswell’s shop in the UK make me a new one that matched the original. As I wasn’t there to see how they did it, I can only say that they must have had a way to deal with the stripped thread and to remove the axle and posts. It wouldn’t surprise me if they removed the posts, taking the axle and key with them, and just made a new post, axle and key.

I second the idea that a good instrument repairer can likely do the job.

That said, I agree with Tootin’-Twang, especially given that you have an important and relatively rare instrument, and medication will affect its value.

Hugh

The keys work just fine. I do have access to expert repair locally, but I won’t authorize any work involving risk, but I doubt I’ll ever put the keys back on. I really love the richness of the sound. Thanks for the replies.

Posted by .

Ailin,
Can you help me understand why the sound is richer? I would have thought that the clearance of the open keys would be sufficient to avoid interference with the sound.
Thanks,
Brian