Type of tunes: March

Type of tunes: March

As a piper, I miss "March" in the list of available Types of Tunes.
I know that the data base only accepts one timing per type of tune, but if "March" was added, probably with a M:2/4 timing, we pipers could always easily work round that limitation by starting the ABC with an M:6/8, M:4/4 etc. as needed to deal with the various timings of Slow Marches, Retreat Marches, etc.

Re: Type of tunes: March

Or we could use as types of tunes: 2/4 march, 3/4 march, 4/4 march, 6/8 march, 9/8 march…

Adding 5 new tune types to the list doesn’t seem like it would make things easier to navigate, rather the opposite.

Well, if we had a category for 6/8 marches we could at least put The Atholl Highlanders in the right place at last :)

Well the rationale for the classification of tune types on here has been explained before on numerous occasions, and I suppose you kind of get used to its shortcomings after a while.
But for me, the lack of a Slow Air category is odd, though again, they come in all sorts of different time signatures. Such tunes get posted variously as waltzes, jigs, barn dances, polkas or even reels: without any audio or video clip to accompany such postings, one can only wonder how on earth they sound if played straight from the ABC or notation.

It comes down to the system’s design and the inclusion of the R:rhythm information field in the abc header.
Tune types were defined early in the database’s functionality.

Posted by .

If you search for ‘March’ in the tunes section a lot of the tunes that are marches, in the chosen time signature, will come up because, IIRC, someone spent time adding alternate names with the word March appended.

You also get other tunes with the string ‘march’ in the name though.

So what type should one use for a 2/4 march ?

"So what type should one use for a 2/4 march ?"

Polka.

4/4?

Posted by .

I am with you, trish santer.

Totally.

re slow Airs,

Interpretations are very individual and are generally best heard from a solo player albeit with accompaniment and arrangements if wished.

Yes, some of the well known airs can work with several musicians playing the melody e.g. the likes of Hector The Hero, Inisheer, and Da Slockit Light etc etc. However, the result is still a compromise and the individuality is lost.
I’m not saying we should never "join in" with slow airs but only in those communal gatherings where it is accepted.