Irish Bouzouki Instructors

Irish Bouzouki Instructors

Can anyone tell me if there are any Irish Bouzouki instructors in Central Florida. I am interested in learning and don’t want to learn with out an instructor.

Re: Irish Bouzouki Instructors

TBH there is no reason to just let instrument sit around as you wait for an instructor. You could work through scales, chording and such like that.
I don’t play the zouk, but can give you some lessons on scales/chords/chord theory. If you’re interested, shoot me a PM

Re: Irish Bouzouki - Capo?

I have recently acquired an Irish bouzouki. I am looking for advice as to where to put a capo basically to make it less of a stretch to play melody!

Any help on tuning etc would be much appreciated too as there is little information on line!

In theory, you can put the capo wherever you want for the scale length that is most comfortable for you and tune the strings down by the same number of semitones as the number of the fret where the capo is placed. In practice, however, there is a limit to how much you can tune down before the strings become too slack, resulting in a weak tone and intonation problems (It is possible to compensate, up to a point, by using heavier string gauges, but with shorter scale lengths, they can feel uncomfortably stiff and unyielding, and have a ‘muddy’ tone).

Having got the potential pitfalls out of the way, putting your capo at the 2nd fret gives you a scale length similar to that of a typical octave mandolin, which is probably what you should aim for. Assuming you are using GDAD tuning, you would need to tune down to semitones to FCGC. You might want to replace the strings with slightly heavier gauges for a more robust tone, but a standard set should perform quite adequately at the lower tension.

Another option you have is to leave the tuning where it is, place the capo where you want it and play the tune in whatever key it comes out in. This is fine if you are playing alone - if you want to play it out in sessions, you would need to learn different fingerings to play the tunes in their standard keys.

If youre playing on your own you can capo wherever you fancy.
If you capo at fret 7 you can play melodies a string lower and be in the same key.
Or, as said before, tune down all the strings and capo back up.

For playing melody you’ll want to tune in GDAE. For playing accompaniment you’ll want to tune in GDAD to get the dronier sound. For Skype lessons, get in touch with Michael Mc Cague.

"For playing melody you’ll want to tune in GDAE. For playing accompaniment you’ll want to tune in GDAD"

This is by no mens a hard-and-fast rule. Many players that switch between accompaniment and melody prefer to stick with one tuning (which could be GDAE, GDAE, ADAE, ADAD and others).

Sorry - duplicate post

I meant "GDAE, GDAD, ADAE, ADAD … " of course.