Sessions in Boston, Lincs

Sessions in Boston, Lincs

I’m posting this on behalf of a someone I know. I recommended joining thesession.org, which she did, but she put her question in her profile. I am posting it here (and I’ll direct her to the discussions section).

She is : https://thesession.org/members/114915 and this is her post :

"I am ABRSM grade 5 violinist, but never played Irish Folk music and I love it . I like to be able to play it .I live near Boston lincs area . If anyone know the folk session for beginners near me please let me know . Thanks ."

Re: Sessions in Boston, Lincs

Welcome to The Session Zoe!

Jim has put your question up regarding sessions. I live too far away to advise you but I hope you have a great time playing music.

Some wonderful people here might give you great help and advice.

All the best
Brian x

Hi Zoe,

I study in the area and I recently went to a session at Lizzy’s Ice Cream in Waltham. Only "problem" is I’m not sure there’s a regular fiddler there. Although I play fiddle, I have a class when it takes place (Tuesday night). Also check the Burren in Somerville, and I believe there are some in Brighton and Cambridge. If you go to the "Sessions" section at the bottom of any page on this site and search "Boston",these should all come up somewhere in the results. Not to mention sessions in Boston proper, of course.

Best of luck to you! I started my trad fiddle journey a couple years ago and it’s been incredibly rewarding.

-Daniel

Daniel, I believe that Zoe is in the other (original) Boston.

The Boston Branch of Comhaltas meets on Sunday afternoons at the Canadian American club in Watertown. They have a slow session that starts about an hour before the main session. This would be a good place to start. There are plenty of sessions around Boston. This site has a good list of them. Good luck.

¿ Boston, Lincolnshire…. a town and small port in Lincolnshire, on the east coast of England…. ?

//Boston, Lincolnshire…. a town and small port in Lincolnshire, on the east coast of England…. ?//

Yep, on the right side of the pond 🙂

Daniel, Boston, Lincolnshire. is the original "proper" Boston, not the "new" Boston, Mass., which was founded in 1630.

There seem to be a number of sessions in Lincolnshire. ‘Two in Lincoln itself, which is about an hour from Boston. One in Spalding which is 25 minutes from Boston.

@Winston Smith: Is that Baltimore, Maryland or Baltimore, Co. Cork?

Sorry, I got the wrong Boston. I was referring to Boston, MA in USA. My bad.

For the record, I realize the new Boston is not the original Boston. Not all of us Americans are that stupid 🙂

No sessions in Boston, Lincs, to my knowledge, and I think I would be nervous going to a pub there. It’s an interesting town.

//No sessions in Boston, Lincs, to my knowledge, and I think I would be nervous going to a pub there//

Why would you be nervous, DrSilverSpear ?

Castle Bytham, Spalding, Stickford and Barrowby, have (or had) sessions, on the "Sessions" list. None of these seem too far from Boston, unless the scale on my map is very wrong.

CreadurMawnOrganig: Baltimore, West Cork, Ireland. As it says on the poster in the link. 🙂

As I am blind and use a screen reader, I heard the title of this discussion as "Sessions in Boston, Links", not "Lincs" as in Lincolnshire. Hence why I misinterpreted the request. I realized this about 5 seconds ago. Sorry Jim 🙂

Guess we should all be a bit more careful about making assumptions then, Daniel. Don’t apologise.
I have ongoing hearing problems which have made me go back more to using musical notation scores rather than relying on my ears, which some would have us believe is the only way to go! It just isn’t!

Fair enough Daniel. I didn’t know that you use a screen reader. I thought that you were one of those stupid Americans that voted for Trump, think that America is the most important country in the world, and who are not the sharpest knives in the drawer.

> I thought that you were one of those stupid Americans

Completely unnecessary.

Posted by .

I agree.

Whatever happened to the "new, kinder, gentler" style of discussion that we were supposed to be getting on The Session. Org these days?

Daniel himself wrote: "For the record, I realize the new Boston is not the original Boston. Not all of us Americans are that stupid 🙂" and "I heard the title of this discussion as "Sessions in Boston, Links", not "Lincs" as in Lincolnshire. Hence why I misinterpreted the request." Completely understandable.

I’m glad Daniel is not one of the stupid Americans that also support Trump.

Regarding Boston, Lincs. over 75% voted for Brexit, and there have been a number of hate crimes there. Prehaps that’s why Emily is wary of the place?

https://thesession.org/help

House Rules
Be civil
Contributions should be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble.

Foul language or aggressive behaviour will not be tolerated. This may sound a bit strict in comparison to a “real” session in a pub setting, but try to remember that the online Irish music community consists of people of all ages and cultural backgrounds.

Please stay on topic
Please keep discussion submissions relevant to Irish music.

I understand that it’s tempting to chat about sports or politics, but there are plenty of other places on the web for that.

Posted by .

"Regarding Boston, Lincs. over 75% voted for Brexit, and there have been a number of hate crimes there. Prehaps that’s why Emily is wary of the place?"

Yes. My OH, who is from Lincolnshire, says he would not be comfortable leaving me in a pub alone to play a session, and he’s normally not nervous or paranoid and is largely laid back about me going to sessions wherever. He says it is a rough town and certainly looks it when we’ve driven through it.

Aye Emily he’s probably right.

Zoe, The Red Lion, Stickford is 20 or so minutes from Boston has a Sunday session and welcomes learners according to the info in "Sessions". Looks like a nice pub and as of 3 months ago the Sunday session is still going on. I hope you find a suitable session.