Tenpenny bit banjo

Re: Tenpenny bit banjo

It’s in A dorian (the second tune is in A mixolydian, in case you wondered that too). The A section seems pretty consistent with how it generally played, but it’s the B section that varies. My attitude is learn it one way and listen to the better people around me and try to play it the way they do.

Of course you’re probably wondering why "The Tenpenny Bit" is considered to be in dorian and not mixolydian when it has neither C not C# in it. For the majority of people the ear fills in the minor sound, the C, not the major, the C#.

Tim, you say very new to the tenor banjo??? you sneaked in some nice triplets there, sounding pretty damn good! I would say that version of the 10p Bit is close enough to what most people play and would fit in at most sessions. Welcome to the site.

Christy that’s not me playing, although I wish I could play it that well

I’m sure that’s the great Michael Muir!

>>>"Of course you’re probably wondering why ‘The Tenpenny Bit’ is considered to be in dorian and not mixolydian when it has neither C not C# in it. For the majority of people the ear fills in the minor sound, the C, not the major, the C#."

If it was mixolydian, there would be Dmajor chords in the backup. The Tenpenny bit is all E-minor, G-major, and A-minor chords, so it’s implied to be dorian.

Agreed. No backup in this vid though, hence my rambling.

Actually there could still be D major in A dorian. A major chords would imply A mixolydian.

Wow, that’s strange. I always thought this tune was called "The Three Little Drummers". I thought the "Tenpenny Bit" denoted the version that goes: |edB G2A|BGd Bcd|edB G2A|BAB gfg|. Interesting.

The tune that starts |edB G2A|BGd Bcd|edB G2A|BAB gfg| is also called "The Tenpenny Bit", i.e. there are two (very different) tunes with the same title.
And the A minor "Tenpenny Bit" is called "The Three Little Drummers" in O’Neill’s collection if I remember correctly, i.e. there are two titles for the same tune.
That’s the "folk process" at work.
Someone said that Breandan Breathnach once said that every Irish tune has on average 2.6 titles.
I wonder if there are also on average 2.6 tunes for every title? :-)

There’s only one Michael Muir

Does the tune not start
EAA EAA BAB GBd
EAA EAA def gfg
????

Tim, it does. Hnorvek and I are speaking of a different tune with the same title. I did not remember the title "The Tenpenny Bit" being used for the tune that starts: |eAA eAA|BAB GBd|, but instead associated it only with the tune that starts: |edB G2A|BGd Bcd|. That’s all.