Anyone else notice that the Orange Order in Episode 5 of the Channel 4 sitcom "Derry Girls" appear to be playing "McAlpine’s Fusiliers"?

Anyone else notice that the Orange Order in Episode 5 of the Channel 4 sitcom "Derry Girls" appear to be playing "McAlpine’s Fusiliers"?

First of all, am I right? And secondly, could anyone with a better knowledge of the origins of the melody of that song maybe shed some light as to how likely it is that this is a correct use of this melody. I know a lot of the Scottish song melodies tend to be in Irish songs with completely different words and vice-versa; I have very little knowledge of the music of the Orange Order and how likely this music is consistent with what they’d be likely to play.

Re: Anyone else notice that the Orange Order in Episode 5 of the Channel 4 sitcom "Derry Girls" appear to be playing "McAlpine’s Fusiliers"?

Very unlikely. The tune is a "traditional air" usually associated with Sarsfield (1st Earl of Lucan) a Jacobite general at the Battle of the Boyne and is used for the song Jackets Green. I knew it as this before the Dubliners popularised McAlpines.

Re: Anyone else notice that the Orange Order in Episode 5 of the Channel 4 sitcom "Derry Girls" appear to be playing "McAlpine’s Fusiliers"?

If this is the scene in question then yes, I confirm that the tune the band is playing is a variant of the tune to which McAlpine’s Fusiliers is sung.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7meZZeYllo

~ 0:21 onwards
It is *possible* that it is a gross oversight on the part of the producers - or even a deliberate affront. But Northern Irish Catholics and Northern Irish Protestants, however much they (some of them, at least) may wish to differentiate themselves from one another, inhabit the same corner of the same island and elements of cultural commonality are inevitable. I am not familiar with the Orange Band repertoire but I believe it contains a number of tunes that are variants of tunes in the general (‘Catholic’) Irish traditional repertoire. A good tune is a good tune - it has no religion.

Or to quote Gary Hastings, from his book "Fife And Drum" : "A good tune is a good tune, whatever foot it kicks with". I have heard Gary say at his lectures that there are many tunes common to both traditions in the North of Ireland, they just give them different names, so it wouldn’t be totally out of the question that an Orange band might play a variant of the "McAlpine’s Fusiliers" tune. Can’t state that categorically, but it is at least a possibility.

Posted by .