Session suggestions for a visit to Glasgow

Session suggestions for a visit to Glasgow

Off to Glasgow on Monday 4th Feb. Staying 8 days. I hope to take the laptop so any suggestions for sessions would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Re: Session suggestions for a visit to Glasgow

Congratulations. You’ve just missed Celtic Connections. πŸ˜‰

No matter. Glasgow is very lively for sessions but, as you may be aware, there are lots of talented younger musicians who often play a more exclusive and modern repertoire with fewer of the session standards.

However, I’d recommend Babbity Bowsters on a Saturday afternoon and I believe there’s a Wednesday session there too. All good players but the tunes are "accessible" and it’s always very welcoming. Good beer too.

I was in "Babbity Bowsters" on the Saturday afternoon a few weeks back - it can get very busy, so advise you get there early. Strangely, as we were leaving, we heard music coming out of a pub about 10 yards away on the other side of the street - didn’t know a single player in it, never knew the session existed.

Posted by .

Sorry to miss Celtic Connections. Seem to have an unfortunate habit of doing that. Will try Babbity Bowsters. I spent 14 years in Glasgow as a young woman but choral singing was my hobby then.

http://www.gigguide.co.uk/Glasgow%20Listings/glasgowmonday.htm

The Babbity session on Wednesday is an afternoon session.

There are sessions not mentioned in the Gig Guide:-
Sharkey’s bar session on Monday Nights.
The Ivory Hotel on Friday Nights.
Both are pretty high standard.

You would be welcome at the Monday and Thursday sessions in the Islay Inn (Monday is a large session, Thursday small)

Babbity’s on Wednesday and Saturday.

Bummed I missed you in Babbity’s, Kenny. :( I’m fairly irregular with the Saturday ones, as it depends on mountaineering club meets/weather.

Any sessions that have a piano? The Reel in Kirkwall, run by the Wrigley sisters, has a very pleasant one.

Sandy Bell’s has a piano now.

I know that’s not in Glasgow but I think the Sunday afternoon session would be right up your street.
A good mix of mostly Scottish tunes but also some Irish and others. There’s usually quite a few from "The Northern Isles" too. The leader is a moothie player but there’s fiddles, banjos, concertina, accordions etc too and the piano if there’s a player. It’s very friendly and you get a chance to start your own tunes too.

It’s only 40 mins by train and just over an hour by bus. Good service and you won’t get stranded.

Tuesday night too in Sandy Bells with Kathryn Nicoll and Peter Thoumire, a great session.

@Kenny that was "spillover" session with all the folk going to Jimmy McHugh’s who found Babbity’s was full. As far as I know there’s no regular session.

@Susan
A some folk mentioned above.
- Islay Inn (Monday & Thursday 8:30pm ish)
- Babbity’s (Wednesday & Saturday 3pm)

Very welcoming folk, you’ll definitely enjoy it.

The Ivory session is also great, nice people and very high standard, but not so easy to get to by public transport.

Other sessions I’ve been to before (to just listen) Ben Nevis, The Lismore… As Johnny said, full of young Conservatoire students mostly playing their own stuff. I don’t think I can join in but they’re good places to sit, listen and have a drink.

Thanks for Sandy Bells, Johnny Jay, will try to fit it into my week.

The Ivory session is on a Friday night. Ben Nevis is on Wednesday and Sunday nights. Waxy O’Connors on a Sunday afternoon.

I’ve noticed several times comments about the Ben Nevis like "full of young Conservatoire students mostly playing their own stuff". I go occasionally, Thursday’s usually, but have never found this to be the case. There are often students and former students playing but I’ve never found the mix of tunes to be particularly unusual, and I personally play more trad than ‘new’ tunes.

They must play nice with you, then. Last time I went there, I was advised that I (a) probably wouldn’t know the tunes they were playing and (b) I should probably go play in the learner’s session at the pub across the road. Keep in mind this was last year, and I didn’t even have the pipes with me. I’d gone in for work (I do some pub reviews) and that delightfully welcoming advice came out in the chat with one of the musicians there, when I mentioned it would be nice to have a tune sometime.

That’s terrible Dr Spear, I’m sorry to hear that. There are several sessions there with different hosts though, you must have encountered a *wat. They’re certainly not all like that.

The individual in question was a lecturer at the Royal Conservatoire (about as far as you can imagine from a youngster who needed to learn social skills), so it doesn’t bode well for the attitude they are teaching their students.

That is really poor show. I have to say that I’ve found most of the youngsters to very pleasant.

There’s also an upright piano in The Royal Oak in Edinburgh, Susan: not too far from Sandy Bell’s. so you could try both!

Trish : I like upright pianos. I’ve friends in E’burgh (Leith) so may make it there. Let the spring come soon!

Trish : tried the piano at Sandy Bells, nice and the man behind the bar bought me a half pint. In Glasgow there’s a piano at Tinderbox, Ingram Street, a bit out of tune but OK. I did try Babbitty Bowsters but it was too fast for my limited fiddle skills and I got told off by Fraser for "playing a solo" though some others joined in as they knew the tune. They make a good sound at that session. Spent nearly Β£20 on a new fiddle string at Biggars as I broke one whilst tuning. I was charged for fitting the string and I suppose a good re-tune. Wouldn’t happen at The Reel in Kirkwall, free there or used to be.

Got told off by Fraser for ‘playing a solo??’ That sounds bizarre to me. I (and others) have played loads of ‘solos’ — when you start that tune and it turns out no one else knows it. Fraser never seems to care. Sessions are strange!

Glad you got some piano playing in, Susan!
Let me know if you come to Edinburgh again, and must try to meet up - somewhere with at least one piano!

DrSilverSpear : I expect I sounded bloomin’ awful, lack of skill and nerves too. Fraser wished to spare B.B. no doubt.

Trish : Yes, please to meeting, thanks. I’ve a friend who’s in Edinburgh in hospital ands I might try to visit her, knew her from Orkney.|