Tune title Mondegreens or pet names

Tune title Mondegreens or pet names

Having seen the "Sunny Shat" posts over in the Tunes section, do you have any pet names or Mondegreens for tune names? (Bearing in mind that many of the tunes on The Session already have multiple names!)
Among those that my friends and I play are "The Shocking Farewell" and "My Darling’s a Sheep": any others spring to mind?
You’ll no doubt know that the term Mondegreen came from mis-hearing of the lyrics of of old song, "The Earl of Moray" - " he has slain the Earl of Moray and laid him on the green".

Re: Tune title Mondegreens or pet names

I first learned the term from Sandy (Edward) Ives who wrote a book about the Ballad of the Bonnie Earl of Murray. I understood it to be lyrics or names of songs and tunes that are misunderstood or misheard rather than in the case of My Darling’s a sheep which is a joke. Thoughts?

Thanks Johnny Jay.
"My darling’s a sheep" could be a mondegreen if your hearing is like mine!
And it is "Moray"!

Dia dhaoibh! Greetings one and all!
Nice post Trish!

My favourite has to be from a former pupil, now well loved player, from the North East of England.

So, we were doing a review lesson and she asked the one about the house. I thought about The Man of the house, Woman of the house, Home Ruler etc. No, none of those.
"It’s a jig" she offered, "It’s something to do with the sea"

And so it was! OUT ON THE OCEAN! She’d misheard it as HOUSE ON THE OCEAN!

One of my favourite pet names is for Jr Crehan’s (The Knotted Cord). Back in the 70s in the Liverpool sessions we all used to sing ALL TOGETHER NOW for each of those phrases in the first part. It was such fun. Even when we played the dances we sang those bits and everyone there, they all joined in. Well it’s supposed to be fun music isn’t it?

All the best
Brian x

A- sehole Highlanders

Pelvic Head

Tonra’s = Tone Row
The Culfadda = The Cruel Father
Jump at the Sun = John Patterson’s

My son’s a prawn = Mason’s Apron
Trashcan Farewell
The Socket light
Crushing the Minge
Waiting for the Ferrals

I’ve heard ‘The Friar’s Breeches’ referred to as ‘The Vicar’s Knickers’.

Posted by .

You could be learning tunes instead.

The Friar’s Breeches is the result - or possibly the origin - of a mondegreen. Also known as the Frieze Britches. Frieze ("a heavy woollen fabric") is pronounced "fries" as in French fries (at least in Ireland - cf. Séamus Creagh’s singing of The Tailor Bán, where the word rhymes with "lies").

My favourite, although strictly a typo rather than a mondegreen, is the tune listed on the cover of an LP by a German band (seen in a record shop somewhere eons ago) as "The Pirates are dug and the frost is all over".

‘You could be learning tunes instead’.

Instead of what, gooseinthenettles? Posting remarks with an implied criticism? I may not be among them, but perhaps some folks can manage to find a moment to send in a line or two to a light-hearted thread without impairing their ability to commit a tune to memory.

Posted by .

The Duck of Perth
Tam Bain’s Bum

"You could be learning tunes instead." Well, not right now since I am at work and should be preparing a report but erm, am doing this instead. :-)

Not ITM, but in the country band I played in, I would introduce "All My Ex’s live in Texas" as "All My Ex’s are Different Sexes". That would get a reaction from the usually conservative crowd!

"Tesco’s Jig". Can you guess what the true title is?

Morrison’s
Aldi night I lay with jockey
The Lidl stack of wheat

Am I getting warm? :)

At a session years ago, someone yelled out "Love At The Endings" (a lovely Reavy tune), but was misheard as "Lovin’ the Onions", so it often gets called that around here…

Ha-ha and ha-ha again! Lots of great ideas there.
The goose should stay in the nettles where he or she belongs: might make you a bit uncheery getting repeatedly stung!

You’re so sweet.

We are all being too hard on "The Goose". I’m sure the post was meant as a bit of light hearted fun.

I spend a lot of time checking out and learning new tunes but it’s always nice to "take a Gander" in here from time to time.
:-)

Learn the tunes, learn the names. I learned a reel yesterday, its called Dr Gilbert’s in Em.

Two mondegreens from the Stockholm sessions:
Young Tomatoes = Young Tom Ennis
The Handsome Tomatoes = The Handsome Young Maidens
Yes, the pub was rather noisy that night.
So nowadays we play these two together as "The Tomato Set".

Joe’s Tuxedo, Nigel?

I was also being light-hearted in my reply to Goose, but I’ll duck if there’s any flak back.
Dr Gilbert’s looks good: does he prescribe statins too?

When Junji Shirota, Dale Russ and I were recording a CD to take with us on a tour of Japan were reviewing tune titles from the recording to use. I noticed one of the titles was, "Jody’s Heaven" and asked where that name came from. Dale said that’s what it sounded like Junji said, "Jolly Seven." We needed a name Japanese people could pronounce, so we went for that.

I told Junji it was a Mondegreen explained to Junji what that was and he composed a tune called, "Lady Mondegreen’s."
https://thesession.org/tunes/3054

One of my favorite Mondegreens was when a bodhran player visited our session who had been there a few months before and asked us to "play that tune, "Armless Hand." (perfect for a bodhran player) That was what he heard when he asked what the name of a tune was we played that he really liked. The tune was, "Ormond Sound."

After a visit by Colum Sands to our local folk club, I shall always think of "Black Velvet Band" as the "Hairy Tongue" song - think about it…..!

I was sure the Planes of Boyle was about an airport (maybe next to the Seanamhac Tube Station?)

Re the above—
The Plains of Boyle refers to the Tour De France: Plain of Boils.

@trish sanfter ‘Her hairy tongue over her shoulder tied up with a black velvet band’? That’s nice.

possibly anecdotal but I still like it - clueless Radio 2 DJ reading from a script - ‘and now a request for an Irish song, ‘Fields of At Henry’. Even if it isnt true, it should be.

@JigsawGreg

Is that a Mrs Brown "That’s nice"? ;-)

@Phantom Button - I’ve been listening to Jody’s Heaven these past few weeks, and a fine album it is. Great to hear the story behind the name. Thanks!

Freeze, Bitches!

I knew a young girl learning "Ship in Full Sail".

She called it "Chicken for Sale".

Kid on a mountain bike, and Trip to the gutter are popular at the Town Hall pub session in Newcastle.

@Johnny Jay

It wasn’t meant to Be. But do you wanna cuppa tea, luv? ;-)

And then there’s that mondegreen of a mondegreen:
"The Graf Spee", which originates from the tune "The Grand Spey", which originates from the tune "Grant of Strathspey" (or "Grant’s Strathspey")

Nobody has mentioned "Banish my foreskin" yet.

We had a player years ago who lived, shall we say, an alternative lifestyle… He used to play a set of tunes that he called Lads On A Leash, followed by the Killarney Boys of Leather.

Not a tune mondegreen strictly, but perhaps Gooseinthenettles = Grinch of The Session?

The Flying Toad. And that fine old jig The Tottenham Court Road

Posted by .

I had forgotten to mention the alternative watery dance names applied to the "Aqua Ceilidh" which takes place at Stonehaven Folk Festival each year on the Sunday morning, in the superb open-air, but well-heated outdoor pool.
The Spray Gordons
The Splashing White Sergeant
The Canadian Prawn Dance
The Nautical Two-step
Slip the Willow
The Riverside Jig (that one doesn’t need changing!)
And The Flying Scotsman becomes The Titanic, as couples get further and further into the deep end!

@DrSilverSpear:
I once saw a meddle of Athol Highlanders & My love is but a lassie yet called My love’s an Athol.

And then there’s the mondegreen "Awesome Child" for "Autumn Child".

They play "The Barnsley Pilgrim" in South Yorkshire