One for Jeremy?

One for Jeremy?

When posting a tune, it would be good to listen to it on midi in the preparation stage - before pressing "Finish" and posting it on TheSession. You can’t do that you, can you? I am not very canny about technical matters. Vive LeSession. ***

Re: One for Jeremy?

There used to be a midi playback facility here before. Has it gone?

I don’t mean to sound cheeky but could you not just "check it out" on your instrument before pressing "Finish". It would surely sound a little closer to the feel of the tune than a midi clip would, in any case.

Playing off "ABC" isn’t easy for everyone but the sheet music comes up as you type in The ABC. So, that makes things more straight forward.

I’m presuming that, if one is submitting a tune, he or she will already be "au fait" with the tune or have access to a copy of sheet music.

Of course, there’s always the option to edit your submission after posting if an error still "slips through".

"easyABC" is a free download. You can enter your ABC code just as you would to this site, play it back, see how the dots look, and when you’re satisfied with it, copy and paste the ABC under your header on this site and you’re done!

Thanks Bill,

I was going to suggest using one of the free dowloads too.
There are others. I used to use "ABC Navigator" and it was handy in the old days here before you could see the the sheet music "emerging" as you typed in the ABC. You had to do things "blind" back then and there wasn’t the opportunity to edit either.
So, overall, submitting tunes is actually a lot easier these days.

I am not computer literate so that’s why I asked the question. I do not always have an instrument at hand when I post tunes. Poor S, I find digital and computing sets nasty wee traps for users like me.

Ideally, you should be able to know if the ABC will represent the tune you want it to be.

Sometimes people post tunes with the wrong key signature, missing bar lines, faulty ABC etc.

"I do not always have an instrument at hand when I post tunes"

Can you help me understand where you get the notes from if you don’t have your instrument?

I listen to a tune, I write down the notes I’m playing from the recording, and then post what I heard, how do you do it.

I can "sight-sing" from a musical score so use my voice as an instrument if I don’t have another instrument to hand. But I don’t do ABC, other than using Easy ABC to convert standard notation to ABC. And I can transcribe from a heard tune to standard notation but not write it down in ABC. We all have our talents or lack of!

I always check my ABCs with a player on my computer before I copy and paste into the tunes database here. I’m on an iMac so I use, "Easy ABC."

Theirlandais : Like Trish I can sing the notes (at times in my head). I would say that that sounds a whole lot better than my fiddle playing…

Listening to a midi rendering of an ABC transcription before posting it will highlight some errors, though not all:

1) Missing or misplaced bar lines.
2) Wrong K: header, (say, transcribing an A Dorian tune as G Major).

In either case, the midi will sound OK, but the ABC transcription (and therefore, the sheet music) will be incorrect.

As I mentioned earlier, we can now see the actual sheet music taking shape as we type in the ABC. So that makes the system much more efficient than before.

Also, a midi may not always sound correct even although the ABC/sheet is OK as it can’t faithfully represent any emphases and nuances in our playing styles and traditional music generally. In my experience, midis have even more difficulty coping with extra information such as grace notes, ties, slurs and so on than the more simple notation.

From the two last posts it seems that:
MIDI can sound OK even if the ABC is incorrect
MIDI can sound incorrect even if the ABC is OK

:D

Never thought before of the complexities of ABC versus MIDI. Lots of subtle factors come into play, as you folk say. Thanks for each comment, and hello from Glasgow.