Northumbrian Smallpipes

Northumbrian Smallpipes

Hi,
I was just wondering if it is still common to find concerts with Northumbrian smallpipes in the UK? I am hoping to visit soon, and enjoy listening to older groups like Canny Fettle and the High Level Ranters, so I was wondering if they are still played today as much as they were back then. Thanks.

Re: Northumbrian Smallpipes

I saw Kathryn Tickell and the Darkening at Broadstairs Folk Festival last year, one of the most enjoyable gigs I’ve seen in a long time. Alistair Anderson is still playing and plenty of other good pipers, but as the name implies you stand a better chance of hearing them in the North East of England!

Thanks all. Yes, I figured they would mostly be playing in the Northeast. The only person I knew of who was still actively playing is Kathryn Tickell (although Wikipedia’s page on Johnny Handle claims he still plays).

Pauline Cato also worth a listen [I think she still plays] and recordings of the late Joe Hutton definitely worth finding if you want some ‘old time’ trad piping

Thank you. I’ll check him out.

Put Chris Ormston and Inky Adrian (formerly Adrian Schofield) into the list of folks to keep a look out for.

Kathryn Tickell & The Darkening are playing Sage Gateshead on 28th March.

Posted by .

And Alice Robinson, I think she has some sort of new project on the go.

Posted by .

Morpeth is apparently the place to go if this rocks your boat, it does mine but I’ve not made the chance. There are regular Northumbrian pipe sessions and a pipe museum. Fill ya boots!