Killarney D brass whistle or Tony Dixon D brass dx 204

Killarney D brass whistle or Tony Dixon D brass dx 204

So…I’ve got less than $100 to spend. It might be time for a new whistle - a "professional" one - (or not). I’ve got a high D nickel and a high D brass Tony Dixon - both Trads; I like them very much! Unlike other whistles - of lesser cost - in my collection, my Dixons are in tune with themselves! ~ I recognize the physical differences between the Tony Dixon D solid / heavy brass dx 204 hand-finished whistle & the John Sindt-influenced Killarney D brass hand-made whistle. I can’t afford to by both … yet. I’m looking to upgrade to my next whistle. ~ My intended purpose is quiet, mellow solo playing, or playing with a recorded Celtic Harp as a backtrack. (Though I have a music degree, and I’ve been playing whistle as a hobby for years, I frankly don’t consider myself good enough to play in session - plus I have partial paralysis of the left hand and - most recently - an amputated fingertip on the right. That said, I can still make moderate tempo tunes sound … well … pleasantly musical.) So … if you had to choose … given my circumstances … which not-so-shinny new brass whistle would you choose and why? Does one have a better tuning joint than the other? Is one more intonationally true across octaves than the other? Does one clog more than the other? Is one more "durable" than the other? In short which would you consider "the better bang for the buck" and why? Esp interested in hearing how owners of both might compare them. In advance thanks for your input!

Re: Killarney D brass whistle or Tony Dixon D brass dx 204

I have a Tony Dixon Brass in D (not handmade nor tuneable) that I bought a few years ago, I find it looses it above top A and prefer a Generation that I’ve had for years which I tuned to play in D - I adjusted the head. If I was buying I’d go for the Killarney as I’ve heard they are good.

Have tried many different whistles, by far enjoyed the Killarney most so far (high-D and high-C, both Nickel).

I have three go-to D whistles.
A wooden one that I bought in Pakistan 20 years ago, for 10¢. My Killarney. And an old brass Copeland.
The wooden one is a bit flat until I’ve played it for a tune or two; the Copeland is aggressively loud. The Killarney is just right.

I love my Killarney high D, however it is quite loud and clear and definitely not mellow. Wonderful for sessions but for quiet playing maybe a Clarke original would be better and cheaper. Better yet, get both for a lovely contrast.

Re: "mellow." I’m wondering whether there’s a noticeable tonal difference between the brass and the nickel Killarney. I’m wondering also whether the Tony Dixon D brass dx 204 is generally mellow-er, or quiet-er than the Killarney D brass whistle. ~ I own a Mack Hoover quiet telescoping whistle and a Carey Parks Ghost Whistle with a ring around the labium to make it quieter. ~ I think your idea of adding an original Clark to my collection is a good one (too bad they aren’t tunable). Each whistle I own has its own personality & place in my collection. The nice thing about whistles is that some of the best ones out there won’t cost an arm and a Meg. :)