Regional (un)availability of ITM albums on iTunes

Regional (un)availability of ITM albums on iTunes

Hi all,

I’ve become very frustrated lately trying to deal with albums on iTunes that aren’t available in the US. For example, I purchased both the fantastic albums "It Was Mighty" and "It Was Great Altogether" a couple years ago and have enjoyed them immensely. At some point, "It Was Mighty" just disappeared entirely, while "It Was Great Altogether" remained. I later found out that "IWM" is available in the UK store, but not the US store, and so my purchase vanished. I’ve seen the same issue with Ronan Browne and Peter O’Loughlin’s most recent recording "The Legacy", as well as an album I was recently told about of John Kelly’s music

My question is, if I want to contact someone about the problem, especially for an album that was already in the US store, would I contact Apple or, say, Topic Records (in the case of "IWM")? Seeing as there are a lot of other Topic recordings still in the US iTunes, it seems rather weird that this one album would be affected.

Thanks in advance,
Daniel

Re: Regional (un)availability of ITM albums on iTunes

To my knowledge, once you have officially purchased something through iTunes, it should always be available for you to download it again. Is it possible that you purchased IWM through the UK store? I think you can switch your store region and then it might appear in the list you can download again.

Here’s a (possibly) helpful article talking about what to do if your content disappears: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-recover-missing-itunes-music-films-tv-shows-3597311/

@Reverend, no, I didn’t. I actually tried to purchase it from the UK store today, but couldn’t because my card is registered in the US. This was also the case at the time that I originally made the purchase.

The problem with iTunes and similar online record stores is that you haven’t actually purchased an album, you’ve simply purchased a licence to listen to it. Unlike a physical CD, you don’t own anything, other than a right which is subject to their terms and conditions. If there’s a reason (probably copyright) why you can’t listen to it in your location they can block it. That’s also why you can’t buy it from a different region.

There was a case a few years ago where a woman had her entire Kindle library wiped because she’d acquired the books from the wrong country. It has also raised questions about passing on a record collection to your heirs, which I don’t think has been resolved yet.

This is one of the reasons I prefer CDs.

@Howard, I can understand that. It just seems strange that "It Was Mighty" is suddenly unavailable, while "It Was Great Altogether" is not. That is, one collection is unavailable while the other collection in the very same series is totally fine. Makes no sense to me.

It’s probably a copyright issue. If there s problem with just one tune that could be sufficient for the album to be pulled.

Yeah, but they could also just pull the specific track and so the album would just have one less track… which would stink but wouldn’t be so terrible…

If I pull one of my iOS apps off the iTunes App Store, even if you purchased it and have it on other devices you can’t download it to new device. I would imagine it’s very similar for iTunes music.

@Michael, that makes sense. I’m just thinking about if I were to contact someone about this, would it be the record label, Apple, or someone else entirely?

I’d guess the label.

Hi,
I’m also in the US. You might have better luck with Amazon. There you can purchase all sorts, such as Stockton’s Wing, the Chieftains, the High Level Ranters, Crasdant etc. I’d say you would then "own" the song because you can download it onto your computer as an mp3. In what I’ve been looking for, I’ve only found two albums available in the UK that were not in the US so that’s pretty good.

Hi Wanderer, that’s a good point. I did actually look into this and it turns out "It Was Mighty" is only available from Amazon as a physical CD. So we’re back to where we started from.

That’s too bad. I’d definitely suggest contacting someone, because you shouldn’t have to re-purchase it. Maybe start with Apple and see where they can take you?
Also, just out of curiosity, which trad group composed these two albums you’re talking about? I’ve never heard of them before.

Wanderer, someone else suggested contacting the label (in this case Topic Records), so I guess I could do that, or both? These 2 albums are conpilations of ITM recordings from the London scene from the 1940s to 2014. In a sense these are like greatly enlarged versions of the seminal album Paddy in the Smoke, which I hope you have, by the way - it’s a classic.

I don’t but I’ll check it out!

Wow, that sounds like a great album now that I’ve checked it out. one of the two albums I had mentioned that I could not get at the Amazon US digital store is the 1974 "Lark in the Clear Air" which is on here and was also recorded in a London pub.
If for some reason contacting Topic Records and Apple doesn’t work, there’s one more thing you could do… but it’s not ideal. If you find the YouTube videos for the album, and have the right software, you can convert them. My dad has a program called iSkySoft or something similar, which will convert You-Tube videos and for which he paid about $60. So it’s expensive but definitely more reliable than free converters on other sites. If there is a particular song which I can’t find elsewhere, he’ll let me convert it on there.

True and I’ve done that before, but it only works if the album has YouTube videos… and I haven’t found them for this one. I hope you get to hear more of Paddy in the Smoke; it’s one of my all-time favorites. I’ve never been a huge fan of a lot of the Irtrad bands, but solo players and session-type recordings are my thing.