Crimes and murders

Crimes and murders

Thinking of the transportation songs esp. Van Diemens Land, and my favourite smugglers’ tune "Old Grey Cat" (Scottish American ~). Are there many Irish tunes (as opposed to songs) with titles referring to criminal activity and (to be morbid) murder? Got told off at school for suggesting "Crimes and Murders" for a project theme…

Re: Crimes and murders

Pull the Knife & I Buried my Wife sound as though they could

Hangman’s Reel could be the last time in the project

Booth Shot Lincoln

The title to the reel ‘Sailing Into Walpole’s Marsh’ is said to refer to poaching.

Allegedly, "The Floating Crowbar" was a murder weapon. It was tossed into the river along with its victim, but came back to the surface to incriminate the perpetrator.

There’s a polka I learned as Galway Belle, which is also, maybe more commonly, called Captain Moonlite, or Captain Moonlight’s Army. "Captain Moonlite" was an Irish-born Australian outlaw, who some believed had supernatural attributes.

Pull the Knife and Stick It Again.

Old Hag You Have Killed Me
Also, may not be about murders, but "Whip Her and Gird Her."

McPherson’s Lament and Coleman’s March are both “they’re dragging me off to hang me” tunes.

Buried My Wife and Danced on Her Grave

The venerable ‘The Night Before They Stretched Poor Larry’. Larry being a famous highwayman, who perversely was not named Larry…

There are more in the database, but these are tunes I play:
The Nine Points of Roguery
Robbery With Violins (I think I first learned it under that name from a Steeleye Span album; it’s The Bank Of Ireland)

Who Stole the Miner’s Hat?

The Kill Fenora Jig………..

I’ve a curious interest in this theme and replies do give a lot of pleasure. Thanks to all.

A few more that may or may not fit your criteria:

- Throw the Beetle at Her (about adultery)
- Jig of the Dead (something to do with funerals)

Can’t believe no one has put forward "The Spoons Murder"…

The Stolen Purse

Jenny Dang the Weaver
Repeal the Poll tax
A punch in the dark

Jack broke da prison door

De’il Stick Da Minister

Posted by .

"Robbery with Violins"? You mean with violin cases don’t you?

I don’t mean anything, I just learned the tune by that name.

daveboling //Can’t believe no one has put forward "The Spoons Murder"//

Well, I thought about that too, but the OP does specify "tunes", and the above is a poem. A truly bizarre and disturbing one to some people, but it’s a poem all the same.

" Got told off at school for suggesting "Crimes and Murders" for a project theme…" So you decided to just ignore them. Good on ya Susan!

Posted by .

Murder Of McBriars (reel)

Posted by .

Technically speaking, any tune about crows (in the plural) is about a murder - a ‘murder’ being the collective name for crows. Ravens on the other hand are just a ‘conspiracy’. You’ve got to watch those sneaky conspiring ravens.

Posted by .

Gobby : Nah, not sneaky. Saw one in flight in Orkney, beautiful fliers. Is conspiracy a crime, sure would be in some countries, punishable by death.

"Whisky in the Jar (Highwayman)," "Black Velvet Band (Larceny)," "Monto (Prostitution)," are a few with lyrics that come readily to mind. "Turpin Hero (Highwayman)," "Burning of the Piper’s Hut (Rebellion)," a couple of instrumentals without pulling out thr catalogs.