Whistle assessment

Whistle assessment

Hi,

for you, what could be the best tune to assess a whistle ? or whitles in general

Posted by .

Re: Whistle assessment

It depends on what you want to assess.

For most things, I don’t use tunes.

To assess how easily the 2nd octave speaks, and also the tuning of the 2nd octave relative to the low octave, I just play octaves like G g G, A a A, B b B, and so forth.

For the power of Bottom D I just play that note, maybe in a made-up phrase or sequence of notes.

To test how well “cuts” speak I’ll just play cuts on various notes.

To test air consumption I’ve found it’s quickest to hold B in the 2nd octave, because that note nearly always takes more quantity of air than the lower notes.

I will play a tune to get an impression of a whistle’s average overall air consumption.

True enough that the only real test of an instrument is to play it in context. For example I had a Low D whistle that I really liked playing solo, but in a group its tone was thin and bright. In a group, for me, a bit rounder and fatter tone is better.

For me any slow tune.. e. g. Hector the hero.. Slow tunes test whistle air consuption (long notes) and clearnest of tones.

Maybe Dusty Windowsills.

The tune suits the whistle very well, and then in the third part you have a bunch of register transitions.