American Irish Band Names

American Irish Band Names

I have been in, and am currently in, a number of badly named bands. It strikes me though that one can always tell American bands that play Irish music.

Here is my guide. You are quite welcome!
How to tell if a band playing Irish music is from America, by name:
1) [anybody’s] Revenge
2) [anybody’s] Kitchen
3) Angry [any Irish sounding first name, plural or not]
4) A name that sounds Irish but you are not sure ("Ceandui", "Teilifina")
5) Any Celtic, Irish or Scottish geographic feature name, such as Giant’s Causeway or the Cliffs of Moher.
6) Any juxtaposition of an Irish name with something distinctly non-Irish, such as Dublin Rodeo, the Mojave Leprechauns, or Galway Luau.
7) Any name that humorously mentions alcohol("One Pint Too Many"), including the one I used to play in: Whiskey Before Breakfast (many bands by this name)
8) Any fiddle tune name (which you may not know if you are unfamiliar with the repertoire). Also see #5 and #6.

Posted by .

Re: American Irish Band Names

"Whiskey before breakfast" ha ha… gotta admit it paints a picture….are you in an American band?

ha ha…"Whiskey before breakfast" you have to admit it paints a picture….are you in an American band?

oops sorry about the duplicate comment.

I was, in the 1980s. There are/were several bands by that name, though, throughout the country. We had a superior logo, though, designed by the guy who drew the original Davis, California Palms Playhouse "Duck" logo.

I wouldn’t say we were super terrific as a band, but we were fun.

Posted by .

Trouble is nowadays, it’s almost impossible to come up with a good name: you come up with something so clever no one could ever have thought of it before - so, of course, you google it - and the first thing that comes up is, "[insert clever name], Austin’s premier Celtic-Rock band!".

I guess technically it’s Scottish, not Irish, but the local Celtic music band here is named Black Market Haggis. Which of course in the US is a real thing since we’re not allowed to import real haggis.

The OP is spot on—you think you have a cool name, then google it and find it’s already out there. I keep a running list of band names as they occur to me. Many of these are taken, but some are not.

5-inch Excrements
Active Shooter Situation
Alien Virus
Anaesthetic
Artsyfartsies, The
Baby Kings, The
Biodiesel Mixtape
Bloodweasel
Bog Bodies, The
Boldface Lie
Booger Whistle
Cac Naofa (holy shit)
Clocha Rolladh (Rolling Stones)
Coolness Incarnate
Covfefe
Cultural Artifact
The Dumbshits
Damp Posse
Def Bomb
Devil Anse
Efbom
Effbaum
Emerald City Ceili Band
ERrAtic CaPs
Feckwads
Feckwits
Five Quatloo Cheque
Food Truck
Gobshite Barbecue
Gobshites
Grabthar’s Hammer
Hackapik
Happy Path
Hive Mind
Hobo Mojo
Hoolies, The
Idiocracy
Kathoo Who
Knee Scooters
Legal Weed
Line of Shite
Lollipop Guild
Lord Buttermilk
Many Enemies
Medium Core
Mystical Raven Community
Na Cé (The Who)
Na Ciaróga (The Beetles)
Nilly Willy
Numbnuts
Painkillers
Pre-kill Quips
Psyclone
Ragtag Band of Misfits, A
SausageFest
Scramasax
Shillelagh Law
Smidgens
Spinning Wheel of Death
Star-bellied Sneetches
Stranger Danger
Swig
Trots, The
Uncle Fudd
Universe City (for college towns)
Veiled Threat
Weathercock
Weird Beard
Willy Nilly

I used to be in a band called Pickled Tink. It’s so obvious that I bet there were a few groups with the same name.

A few more

Ratted
Fat Drunk and Stupid
It Only Hurts the First Time
BLEAARRRGGHHHHHH!
Cead Mile F*** Ye
Armchair Republicans

Young Coeds And Free Chicken Wings

Posted by .

I use to live in Houston and periodically our local Wednesday night session musicians would be asked if we would like to do a gig. Heck yeah ! Some beer, some food, maybe even money. Problem was we needed a band name. So, for those rare gigs we were known as the "Texas Chainsaw Ceili Band". Our promotion poster was a guy wearing a goalie mask behind a screen door (w/ chainsaw) sort of in the shadows and then us photogenic lot in front.

That’s a fair point there, but there are a few American groups I like whose names don’t sound obviously American, such as "Cherish the Ladies" and "Celtic Sands."
I find it interesting that a lot of band names are based on trad tune names, such as the Brosna ceili band from Kerry, Ireland.
Love "Effbaum", and would never guess by the name that it was trad…

When called on to have a band name as defined by whoever shows up) we call ourselves the Red Hot Ceili Peppers..that or Lenerd McSkinnerd.

Back in the day, whenever a group of friends got together to jam we came up with a band name. If someone left or somebody else showed up, we’d have to rename the band. We must have had hundreds of terrible band names.
The only ones I can remember are:
The Beer Syndicate
Aural Sects
Barking Mad
The Tumbling Rocks

Kilronan was our band named after Carolan’s Parish Burial site.

I read the OP.

What are you asking the board to reply about?

Posted by .

Presumably, the OP is talking about how difficult it can be to name a trad band in the US and how you can tell by certain characteristics that a band is American. A fair enough point, but also a bit of a generalization.

The 1st three categories would work except I cannot think of too many "American-Irish" bands which use angry anything in their name. Who are they?

Going back to
"1) [anybody’s] Revenge
2) [anybody’s] Kitchen"

Molly’s Revenge; obviously. But [anybody’s] Kitchen does not seem to have a very firm footing.
Who’s kitchen(s) are we talking about, ndlxs?

Posted by .

"The Angry Brians"….look ‘em up. More Scottish, though, I think, playing at Scottish Faires and county agricultural expositions here in Cal O’Fornia.

Posted by .

A dear friend of mine, in a moment of chemical bliss, decided that "Woody Guthrie’s Disease" would be a good band name, because "it’s like his disease…was MUSIC!"

Posted by .

There is a local band "Claudia’s Kitchen". Nice people though. Also, a hammered dulcimer inclusive band called "Banshee in the Kitchen" in the Central Valley of My Fair State of Cal O’Fornia.

Posted by .

I’ve always longed to start a group called "Tartan Fethard" which would undoubtedly be referred to as "Tarred and Feathered".

I was in a trio called Stone Circle, playing Irish, Scottish, Cape Breton and Nordic chunes with harps, fiddle, guitar, accordion, flute and voice. We called it Brae Watch for awhile because it was the late 1990s and that sounded funny. The Greensleeves duo is mostly harp and flute, cheesy name but mothers of the bride love us.
Now I’m in The Land of Erin, an ad hoc band for which I am ‘fill-in harper’ and ‘sometime whistle/flute player’.
I think I know why American bands playing Irish sound so American: usually because we emphasize beats 1 and 3. If I tap my foot on 2 and 4 it gets better. Also playing triplets a bit syncopated helps, but it’s hard to describe. Listen to Graínne Hambly play a reel.
Beth

Most American, seems to me, are band names that refer to ancient stuff, names including words like

Druid/Druids
Wicker Man/Men
Sheila na Gig
Stone Circle (mentioned above)
New Grange
Tara
Stonehenge
Celtic
High Cross

and so forth.

Famously "The Chieftains" who were NOT Americans!

As said above the enemy of choosing a band name is Google……..we were trying to think of one for our band, two different groups combined, originally, to perform and record my wife’s songs, although we do also traditional tunes and songs………….she favoured Village Idiom….it’s a store in Australia and a band in Wiltshire…..we tried going out as The Band With No Name….they’re based in Norwich……..a finger was stuck in a random page of Brewsters Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, and came up with Fingle Fangle……..this was then shortened to Fangle….until a friend of ours ( who is an editor, and very precise about names and definitions, strangely ) introduced us as Flange ( which of course is the collective name for a group of gorillas ! )……!