New Printer..now my ABC2win program won’t print

New Printer..now my ABC2win program won’t print

Hi guys. I am new to this forum. I have been reading for a while, but never posted.

I am a scottish fiddler, and lead a local community group. I put 3 or 4 tunes on a page and have found the ABC program to work well for the past few years for me. I purchased a new computer that runs with Windows XP and tried to download the ABC program onto my new computer, but I guess it doesn’t run on XP.

So, I have my older computer sitting here with all of my ABC tunes on it. It has Windows ME and it has run well up until a few days ago when I got a new printer for my older computer. I think the ABC program doesn’t recognize the new printer. I lets me work with the tunes and all, but refuses to print.

It’s an HP printer. Any ideas on what to do? Am I going to have to throw in the towel on using ABC and just choose another notation program now?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: New Printer..now my ABC2win program won’t print

Hmm. That doesn’t make sense, crystal. I upgraded my ancient (Win98)machine with a new HP printer, and ABC2Win ran just fine. Have you loaded a new driver for the HP in the old computer? Or could it be a USB port issue? Older USB ports are notoriously unreliable—I’m assuming that you connect to the printer through the USB.

yeah, make sure the new printer prints off stuff from other programs, and is the default printer.

Posted by .

I think it may be the compatability with Xp that is causing your problems, that is exactly what happened to me when I upgraded from 98 to XP on a new machine. Go to the ABC2Win icon on your desktop (you must have one!) and right-click on it. Then go down to the bottom of the list and click on ‘Properties.’ You will find three tabs on the top, click on the one labeled ‘Compatability.’ Specify that you want to run this program in compatability mode for Windows 98. You might as well specify 256 colors just to be safe. Then apply. You will notice when you start up and end the program your screen will go blank momentarily but don’t worry, it is just switch the settings back to the original XP settings. Good luck, I hope this works.

Posted by .

I can’t remember now whether it was the new computer or the new printer, but when I upgraded some time ago and reinstalled (and re-registered) ABC2Win on the new system, I also had problems with printing. I contacted Jim Vint who was very helpful and we tried a few things to make it work. His suggestions did not prove successful. However there are a number of different print commands in ABC2win, and I found that some still worked whereas others don’t - MOST of the time.
There are two print buttons on the top of the music sheet page and the ‘multiple’ print one still works. The single doesn’t.
It’s all pretty weird but I have got so used to it that it doesn’t bother me anymore.
By the way I do use Windows XP.
Cheers

I run it on XP without a problem but I had a period where the printer was acting up and jammed on print a copy but worked fine on print 1 multiple copy.

I have only run ABC2Win on xp but I experienced the same problem with the printing when I upgraded my printer. My new printer is also an HP model. I was going to get rid of the old printer but I have kept it to use specifically for the abc program.

Can you paste them into a Word doc?

Posted by .

Thanks everyone for these ideas. So far, I have not been able to get it to work on my new XP computer, but I did get the new printer working with my old computer. I am going to work with my new XP computer a little more and see if I can unlock the magic that will make it print. But at least, I’ve got my old computer working again with the new printer, so all is not lost!! I don’t have to buy a new notation program. Thanks again for your help.