Buying fiddles online

Buying fiddles online

What is your opinion on this? I don’t like the idea of buying an instrument without hearing how it sounds first, but the selection of fiddles for the price range I’m after (€4-500) is not all that great. Surprising for a place like Galway.

Would you trust any of these?
http://www.instrumentspast.co.uk/Bowed%20strings.html

I like the idea of having an antique violin that’s in playing order and sounds good, but a part of me is hesitant to buy blindly.

Re: Buying fiddles online

Try custys in ennis? I couldnt recommend buying a fiddle online, though i did myself! Its a pot luck approach. Ok if its a cheapy for the street maybe but they are so intensely personal from setup to tone.!! The deals and fiddles look good but….. volume as well is a consideration and strings!! And bow!

Wild Goat Fiddles is in Galway.

[I hope it’s OK to mention a violin dealer name here. I have no association with the business.]

As Will says, it’s a very personal thing. Even if it’s a really good fiddle, it might not suit a particular player.

By law an online purchase (Distance selling) is returnable within 14days for refund if you change your mind- only liability may be return postage and insurance, and some traders will cover that too, but check contractual arrangements carefully and discuss with shop.

Fiddles are best auditioned in your own space in your own time - making a choice in a shop is often bewildering so it can be a very good option.

I kind of agree with titch, certainly about being bewildered with too much choice! But its important imo to see if one stands out for you. Or narrowing down to a choice of three say. Of course string choice will have a big influence and even the bow can make a considerable difference with the sound. So bring your own bow!
Of course actual playing of fiddles is done in many environments , not just home so trying them out in the shop should be fine imo .
If it were me , I’d be looking for a better bow (and a reasonably loud fiddle) without breaking the bank!
I do think shops overprice these things so I’d probably just go for the 150 yoke on your link and upgrade your bow . As long as it’s not made of plywood :-)
Good luck anyhow!!

Wild Goat Fiddles, defo., great selection, just outside Kinvara.

I see Wild Goat Fiddles (as DavidT) mentioned, offer a 10-day trial on any instrument.

"WILD GOAT FIDDLES 10-DAY NO-QUESTIONS-ASKED RETURN PERIOD"

That’s the first sentence on their website, so I’d take that seriously.

If you buy at auction, whether that be at a auction house or online, your consumer rights change dramatically. On ebay if you buy with a buy it now option then that does not count as an auction purchase. I would recommend that you play any fiddle you intend to buy for more than £50 …..£500 I would spend a long time playing. Good luck.

nevair…

That Wild Goat place sounds like a decent shot, but here in Cape Breton, some of the fiddle teachers also sell instruments in various price ranges. When my daughter bought her current fiddle, we went over to see Kinnon Beaton, and she whittled down the dozen or so he set out to a shortlist of three. Just kept going around the room ruling fiddles out. At one point he said ‘you are going in the right direction’. Came down in the end to a Mirecourt, or an unidentified German fiddle the local luthier thought was a good Mittenwald. She chose the German one and is in love. A friend did the same with another well known teacher. Might be worth asking.