How to share copyrighted audio on Facebook or other such sites?

How to share copyrighted audio on Facebook or other such sites?

Hi could people please help me to figure out how to share a copyrighted audio file for instance a track out of a record with friends over Facebook? At the moment all I can do is link to a YouTube ‘video’ if someone made a video out of an audio file… Which I think is a copyright infringement just the same no? So is there any way to do it or there just isn’t?

Re: How to share copyrighted audio on Facebook or other such sites?

Post a link to the Spotify or Tidal track and you’ll help an artist you probably like to get one more stream. Maybe the artist will make enough to keep making music you like. Just a thought..

Posted by .

To be fair, the vast majority of the album tracks (and even official videos) on YouTube are licensed to be there. Any time YouTube is challenged on copyright, they will take down the track. But, for instance, the digital distribution package for my Giotár album had an option to include YouTube, and since I’m in it more for increasing awareness and getting gigs than I am trying to make money (of which there is little to be made playing this music, relatively speaking), my album is available fully on YouTube (even though I would prefer that you purchased it if you like it…) ;-)

So you might actually be best off providing YouTube links if they exist, and you won’t be violating any service agreements or getting websites or artists too pissed off at you…

Reverend, is that what the "various artists, topic" YouTube channels are about? The auto-generated channels?

It’s related. Officially licensed content is usually uploaded as an Art Track (which is usually just the Album Cover, Artist Name/Album Name/Track Title). So to put it another way, if you’re looking at an Art Track, it’s most likely licensed to be there. And even if it isn’t, YouTube scans all the videos for copyrighted content, and tries to give the artist any royalties anyway. (Or it allows the artist to ask for removal of the video, etc.)

The "topic" channels are trying to put some grouping to these Art Tracks, but for little artists like myself, there’s no need for a dedicated "channel" (unless I built one for myself), so things just get grouped in Various Artists, and since there’s no specific topic, they just call it "topic"… At least, I think that’s what is happening.

Hi Pete, Giotar sounds great on the preview. Any chance it’s on Bandcamp? Have a few albums from there and handy to listen through their app.

And I agree that a link that helps get extra streams is the way to go.

Donal