Name of tune please. Waltz.

Name of tune please. Waltz.

I have a vague recollection of words that way be incorrect. Please excuse my failing memory.
I sat within the valley green,
I sat with my true love,
I could not choose between,
Old Ireland or my love
………………………………
………………………………
While sobbed the wind
from down the glen
And shook the golden corn.

Re: Name of tune please. Waltz.

I recognize this as the song "The Wind that Shakes the Corn". The Irish Rovers do a nice version. Lots of mandolin.

Posted by .

Thank you B/C for your prompt reply.

The wind that shakes the barley.

Though oddly around here, the farmers would say they have a field of corn, when it’s barley :)

In the Old Anglophone World, ‘corn’ is a generic term for the main grain crops grown here - wheat, barley, rye (not sure about oats, as they have different properties and uses from the others). Maize and sweetcorn being native to the Americas, and widely grown in the USA, they have become the default ‘corn’ over there. Yet ‘cornflour’ is always synonymous with ‘maize flour’ - not to be confused with ‘cornflower’, which is a flower that grows (or used to grow) in cornfields (i.e. fields of wheat, barley, rye etc.).

Totally OT. Not so odd. When the early colonists were confronted with Indian Maize, they called it corn.

Ah snap! X-posted!

As for a waltz v a reel: as one of my accordion-playing friends says, you can turn any tune into a waltz. Tried to listen to The Irish Rovers’ song, but YouTube persistently crashes on my iPad. Will try tomorrow on a proper computer!
All very symbolic and historical too, the wind that shakes the barley (or corn).

The Wind that shakes the barley. This song is not ususually sung as a waltz, it is a slow air without pulse.

Just listening to Dolores Keane singing "The Wind that Shakes the Barley" - beautiful! (And agreed, neither a waltz nor a reel!)
And a different tune and lyrics from The Irish Rovers with "The Wind that Shakes the Corn" (incidentally the tune that many would associate with "Tramps and Hawkers" and a clutch of other songs).

You lot have just done my head in.
So, does anyone in this thread (or the UK for that matter) ever have "corn on a cob"?

I’m happy now… :)

Yes, Peter, sweetcorn or maize! Very nice! (UK)

And by sheer serendipity, I happened on a link posted by a friend on Facebook to Luke Kelly singing "Come my Little Son" - it’s THAT tune again! (The Wind that Shakes the Corn, Tramps and Hawkers,etc )

Hey Trish.
I read this earlier -
"As for a waltz v a reel: as one of my accordion-playing friends says, you can turn any tune into a waltz".
I play keys, only p/accordion now, and…… nah!
I’d like your friend to try ‘In The Mood’ (amongst a gazillion others).

Easy peasy! (I do it too!)

"Tis Jim again. (musicstand)
I must apologize to everyone for my absence and lack of acknowledgment to all your contributions.
Four letter word.
"Work."
Also a Happy St. Patrick day to everyone. I have read with interest and indeed it pleases me.