Still room to sign up for Portal Irish Music Week 2019

Still room to sign up for Portal Irish Music Week 2019

Hi folks,

For the first time in a few years, we still have a few student slots available for Portal Irish Music Week coming up in October in Arizona. It is usually sold out by this time.

This camp is pretty different than most, for a few reasons. First off, it’s tiny. We max out at about 50 people total, including staff. Secondly, it is held in a very interesting locale, in the Chiracahua mountains in SE Arizona. The scenery and wildlife are second to none. There are stunning rock formations surrounding the area. And we see all sorts of fun critters, from mule tail deer, to coatimundi, javelinas, desert squirrels, quail, woodpeckers, and humming birds galore. And the weather is always gorgeous that time of year.

For the music, the camp has two classes a day, and students can take two different classes. The week also includes a private lesson with each of your instructors. There are multiple sessions every night, and the instructors play in the sessions every night. There’s also a staff concert on Saturday night - followed by a ceili.

Instructors this year include:

Brian Conway - Fiddle
Kevin Crawford - Flute/Whistle
Marla Fibish - Mandolin
Matt Heaton - Accompaniment
Pete Strickler (that’s me, BTW) - Tenor Banjo
Colin Lindsay - Concertina/Beginning Fiddle
Brian Lanni - Dance

Brian’s fiddle class and Kevin’s flute class are both nearing capacity, so if you want in this year, now is the time! The "all inclusive" slots (which include accommodations at the Lodge where the festivities are centered) are sold out. But there is probably still room at Cave Creek Ranch (not to be missed!) and a few other places in the surrounding area.

And we’re proud to announce that one of our scholarship positions this year went to our friend here on the mustard board, TheBlindBard!

More information and registration can be found here: https://portalmusicweek.com/

Re: Still room to sign up for Portal Irish Music Week 2019

Just want to add this. I have been to several such camps….once. This is the one I go to year after year. Yeah, it’s that good! It’s the staff, the people, the level of instruction, the hosts (Portal Lodge), the social and physical environment that keep me coming back. Don’t miss this one.

Would love to attend but life commitments preclude. Thrilled to hear that BlindBard received a scholarship position! Up the Mustard Board!

And for the birders amongst us, don’t forget the possibility of sighting the Elegant Trogon.

Yeah, J.P.! A friend of mind attended last year for the first time. We were lucky to get him to any of the classes. I think he saw 17 "life birds", and he’s been a birder for nearly 60 years. And Joe, you just need to prioritize the music commitments a little higher ;-)

Pretty stoked. Gotta start saving up to buy people pints :P
Looking forward to it!

Update: Kevin Crawford’s class just filled up. So waitlist only for Flute