Reel IDs

Re: Reel IDs

Second one is Emile’s version of Woman of the House, I think — page 71 in Kelly Russell Collection Vol 1.
Third is a version of The Tarbolton, let me see if I can find it in the book.

Yeah, "Tarbolton Lodge", page 75.

First one is in the book as "The Sailor’s Return", page 73. That name doesn’t ring a bell with me as an Irish tune, though Russell clearly thought it was.

Awesome, thank you Sol!

Sailor’s Return, aka Eileen Curran? https://thesession.org/tunes/132 … That’s what tunepal pulled up too, but with low confidence & didn’t sound quite right.

Ah, I see you found that too. Thanks again!

Think we cross-posted there, yes. My impression is that it isn’t actually Eileen Curran, but a close relative tune — but I know diddly squat about that one. With luck someone here is more familiar with the tune and can sort things out.

It’s possible Emile learned it from a variant, re-invented it a bit himself, or some combination of both. After all, that’s how Brother’s Jig seems to have come to be: variant of A Part of Coleman’s Cross with a new B Part.

The first reel
First part Eileen Curran (played incorrectly)
Second part Is ODowds (played incorrectly)
Second Reel
a mixture of two different reels.
Third reel Tarbolton.

@gooseinthenettles: I’ve been following a similar tack but you got there first. I idenified the second part of the first reel as similar to The Curragh Races, but yes, Dowd’s Favourite is similar too.

I would not be so quick to judge his playing as ‘incorrect’, however. He is a French Canadian fiddler and he gives the track the title ‘The Irish Descendants’, which suggests that these are tunes from the French Canadian repertoire that have Irish roots. The first one clearly does. The second tune has echoes of several tunes but I could not trace it back to one (or even two) particular tune(s); in fact, the second part reminds me more of Appallachian music than Irish. The third tune, although well known in Ireland, is of Scottish origin (Tarbolton Lodge being the name by which it is/was known in Scotland) so it is possible that it came into the repertoire via Scots settlers in Nova Scotia, not via Ireland.

The recording is by the Newfoundland band "The Irish Descendants". They’re (I’m not sure who the fiddler is here, maybe Pat Moran?) playing a set of tunes that come from the repertoire of Emile Benoit (1913-1992). They might have learned them from Emile or a recording of Emile, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they learned them from the same tunebook I referenced above.

As for how they got that way — who knows? Here’s what Kelly Russell says about them:

"The traditional tunes Emile played were mostly ‘old Irish’ or ‘Scotch’. I was never really clear on where he had learned these tunes, whether from old records, the radio, or from other players in the area, as he would only say they were ‘real old tunes’. However, he was very definite, for the most part, about which tunes were his own and which were old, and he rarely played the old tunes in public performance."

Sorry, just realized I used shorthand because I knew NfldWhistler would know what I was talking about. The tunebook is "Kelly Russell’s Collection: The Fiddle Music of Newfoundland & Labrador Volume 1: Rufus Guinchard & Emile Benoit".

"The recording is by the Newfoundland band "The Irish Descendants"."

I see. Sorry - I misinterpreted the name as referring to this particular set of tunes. Even so, the Newfoundland repertoire is what it is, even if it contains tunes that are ‘hybrids’ between two different tunes and played ‘incorrectly’. I am sure that the same could be found to be true of some tunes in the Irish repertoire; I think most of us would regard Miss McLeod’s - which is Mrs. McLeod of Raasay played ‘incorrectly’ with the parts the ‘wrong’ way round - as a legitimate tune.

Didn’t mean to diss these versions in the least! I don’t know any of Emile’s versions of old Irish reels (though I could probably fake my way through his version of Julia Delaney’s if someone else was playing it, as I have a decent notion how it differs from the Irish version) but I absolutely adore his crooked version of "Paidin O Raifeartaigh", which I posted here a few years back — https://thesession.org/tunes/12475

I wouldn’t call these incorrect either, it’s just the way the Irish & Scottish music has evolved in Newfoundland. Thought they were Irish when posting, given the name of the set and all. I’ve been listening to this particular set from the Irish Descendants for many years before actually starting with Irish trad, so it feels the most correct for me ;)

Thanks for the discussion everyone!

The fiddler would have been D’Arcy Broderick. Pat Moran has more recently joined The Irish Descendants.

Reading here about Eileen Curran’s, I was reminded that I recently learned that Eileen Curran’s seems (to me at least) to have come from ‘Lady Dalrymple’s Strathspey’, composed in the 18th century by Robert Macintosh.
I left a comment on the page for Eileen Curran’s.
https://thesession.org/tunes/132?newcomment=865276#comment865276