Name this song?

Name this song?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place, I was wondering if anybody could name this song I am trying to remember. It’s about a King/Lord who disguises himself as a peasant/musician. He falls in love with a woman, and he brings her back to his kingdom to be his Queen etc. I think I heard Tommy Makem singing it. It’s driving me crazy. Thank you.

Posted by .

Re: Name this song?

You’re in the right place! Do you know if it’s English, Irish, Scottish or Welsh? That will narrow it down.

Not perchance the (Whistling) Gypsy Rover? Seems to fit a few of your criteria….

The Gypsy Rover come over the hills
Down through the valleys so shady
He whistled and he sang ‘til the green woods rang
And he won the heart of a lady

Chorus:
Ah dee doo ah dee doo da day
Ah dee doo ah dee day dee
He whistled and he sang ‘til the green woods rang
And he won the heart of a lady

She left her father’s castle gate;
She left her own fond lover;
She left her servants and her state
To follow the Gypsy Rover

(Chorus)
Her father saddled up his fastest steed
Roamed the valleys all over
Sought his daughter at great speed
And the whistling Gypsy Rover

(Chorus)
He came at last to a mansion fine
Down by the River Claydee
And there was music and there was wine
For the Gypsy and his lady

(Chorus)
"He is no Gypsy, my father," she said
"But Lord of those freelands all over
And I will stay ‘til my dying day
With my whistling Gypsy Rover."

(Chorus)

possibly Planxty’s ‘The Jolly Beggarman’ ? Supposedly based on a legend that King James V of Scotland would roam the countryside disguised as a beggar - ‘We’ll go no more a roving , so late into the night’, etc…………

Maybe Planxty’s ‘The Rambling Suiler’ about a colonel who bets against his general he can convince a maid to come with him travelling disguised as a beggar until he reveals himself to her to be a captain.

There are several related Scottish ballads on theme, including The Jolly Beggar, The Beggar Laddie and The Gaberlunzie Man, all said to have been written by James V himself

Whistling Gypsy Rover, that’s the one! Not an obscure one but I couldn’t for the life of me remember what is it was. I’ll check out the other ones as well. Thanks very much folks.

Posted by .

Jolly Beggarman, in all its guises (no pun intended) probably fits the description of the song story better.