Recommend me a Whistle please?

Recommend me a Whistle please?

Hiya Everyone,

I have a very quick question, I am looking for a Tin Whistle. However, it has to be one that I could actually use for DnD Sessions (playing a bard) and I would like it to have a bit of a mellow sound, it would have to be played through the microphone after all (we play via discord).

I am looking for a whistle or flute with a normal mouthpiece (like the one on a tin whistle, I can’t get the embrochure right if my life depended on it)

Are there any Tin Whistles you people can recommend me, I have a few at the moment but I think they are a bit on the shrill side.

Thanks for the help!

EDIT: I see that most people recommend the classic Clarke, however, I do own one of them and it just takes too much breathe for me. It does have the airy sound but I’m afraid I don’t have enough skill and breath to use it good enough.

I’ll include a list of the ones I have thus far:
- Tony Dixon low D
- Tony Dixon Brass high D
- Susato Oracle(?) high D
- Clarke Classic high D

Re: Recommend me a Whistle please?

I play a Killarney high D and it’s a lovely sounding whistle! You don’t need very much breathe for it either.

I use a Michael Burke made of the composite material for ballads and songs where I want a mellower sound. Love those whistles!

Depends on where you are located. If in the US, Jerry Freeman’s tweaked whistles—perhaps the Mellow Dog—are inexpensive and, well, mellow. If in the UK or the EU, a Cillian O’Briain is also inexpensive and tested. A step up in price would be the Killarney mentioned above.

There are some whistles marketed as "mellow"; I don’t have any experience with them but it’s a start.
You might also look into Generation whistles in lower keys, like B-flat. The key probably wouldn’t matter in your situation.

For people asking where i live, i live in the netherlands

You will probably need to find one online as there’s rarely shops in NL selling anything different than stock Generations (tho I like my high d stock generation, either I got lucky or my ears malfunction :P Its my 1st time whistle). At least not in the area (Brabant) I live. Colin Goldie is actually located not far from the border but those whistles are in the higher price range.

But I think a lot depends on the budget you like to spend since as you mention its only for DnD purposes.

anything on the tony dixon whistles? good match or stay away from them (well as much as possible)

I can’t think of any whistle I own that takes less air than the classic Clarke, which is still my favorite of all my whistles. I suggest more practice, and the breath and air management will get easier in time.

Do you need to play outdoors? That would make a difference.

i do not have to play outside, i play indoors. As i said, it is going to be used for online play with friends

Is the appearance of the whistle important?

Like at a Mediaeval Festival where a red plastic top won’t do?

I used to play at such a festival and I used a Ralph Sweet wooden high D whistle. Not my favourite whistle as far as the playing went, but a beautiful Renaissance look to it.

If appearance isn’t an issue, I would say go with the Killarney, a very enjoyable whistle to play, and handsome looking. Yes it does have some black plastic on the top, but it just might pass as an "ancient whistle".

Your problem isn’t whistle, it’s microphone. Whistles have a large dynamic range, which your ear does not perceive, but a microphone, being a very imperfect attempt at an artificial ear, does.

You need a decent microphone that can capture the dynamic range, then you need to compress it gently before you share it with the world.

Whistles all sound like whistles: you’re not going to get a whistle that magically sounds like that Titanic sound you have in your head, because that’s not the sound that a whistle makes.

Posted by .

Calum has a point there. And I assume OP plays directly into Teamspeak or Discord (with headset) so getting the right result may be difficult.

P.s For the ones that don’t know. DnD (Dungeons and Dragons) is a computer game (with lots or roleplaying). So I assume OP wants to use a whistle due to roleplaying his/her bard in game.

@Dutchie
@Calum

that is about half correct, I will indeed play directly into discord. however, I do not use a headset for that. I have a condenser microphone that with a pop filter set up on my desk, plugged into a ghost-power-supply. And indeed I want to RP my bard (tiefling bard named luxurias) and use a flute or whistle to actually play some things during rests and such. My group is into RP and we do a lot of travel and rest RP so yeah.

I hope that the mic will be good enough. When I record it within audacity it does sound okay, but I still need to find a flute or whistle that sounds like I want it to. At the moment I think of using my Dixon Trad, but I do like the wooden sounding whistles, I am considering a Shaw, for some reason I am thinking that I will like the mouthpiece better on that one. Any experiences with that one?

Have you tried reverb….. it’s the magic ingredient

The Dixon Trad is okay. The Killarney is better.

Unless you need to play in a specific key, I’d highly recommend getting a lower pitched whistle, as was mentioned earlier. B flat is in a great frequency range and the lower pitch makes it intrinsically more mellow than the high D.

Posted by .

I am happy with my Copland D in brass and my Wolfe D also in brass. I think Copland’s are no longer being made.
The Wolfe is well in tune with the D scale, and adjustable in case you’re playing with box players. I wish I had ordered it without the thumb hole. It doesn’t feel easy keeping my thumb over it, I would have been happier without that feature.
Both whistles have done very well with or without mic, in sessions indoor and outdoor in all weather and in my recordings. The only time it has ever been difficult has been in a stiff breeze outdoors, but any whistle will give you problems in that situation.