Waltz ID please

Re: Waltz ID please

Hi "Wanderer" - it’s one of Des Cafferkey’s original compositions called "The Cradling Arms Of Cruachan", the opening track on his first solo CD, "Achill Air", which has some very fine flute and whistle playing on it. Des is a great player from Dublin. He turned up here in Aberdeen, over 20 years ago I would think, with a group of Dublin musicians promoting a new micro-brewery brand of stout. We had some great music that weekend. His solo version of "Carolan’s Concerto" [ never recorded unfortunately ], was one of the best pieces of whistle playing I’ve ever heard.

Posted by .

Thanks so much, Kenny. That’s a very appropriate tune title because it sounds a bit like it could be a lullaby. I will check out his album.

It is actually elsewhere on the site, as both a waltz and a reel (?) with a different spelling, "The Cradling Arms of Croaghan": there is a hill of that name a bit south of Ballycastle.

P.s. The poster of the "reel" has admitted it’s not!

Thanks. And very funny about the reel.

Cafferkey is a bit of a Mayo name and if the track is off a CD called Achill Air as per Kenny, then the Cruachan or Croaghan referred to is very likely the large hill of that name on Achill! The arms are the spurs of course :)