Longer loading times?

Longer loading times?

Is it me or does it take longer and longer to load the website? Earlier today I thought it wouldn’t load at all while any other website was there in a blink of an eye so it can’t be my internet. Happens on both browser (Chrome + Firefox) as my phone (chrome). Cookies and cache shouldn’t be the issue either as I clean those regularly and this issue is around a while (just not as worse as I’ve seen it today).

Re: Longer loading times?

I think it has something to do with Jeremy’s new Javascript implementations, like for example how every tune now converts sheet music from ABC on the spot when you enter it.

Aye, it’s been slow to load for me for a few weeks now.

Thought it was just me :)

Yes, I’ve experienced this. It is very variable - at the moment, it’s fine - it takes less than a second to get a page loaded and rendered, but at other times, it’s taking up to 20-30 seconds.

Posted by .

Hmmm …this is worrying. I’m going to try altering a few things to see if I can get to the bottom of this.

The tune rendering as we add ABC is a brilliant addition!! Not noticed any slow down but the sesh has always been very fast .

By contrast, the whole site has sped up for me in the last couple of weeks…

@ Jeremy: I don’t experience long loading times ones I am actually on the website. I do experience it loading from lets say google startpage to session homepage. And atm it seems fast for me. I don’t know what is causing it.

I just notice that the initial page load is a tad slow but my start page on the session is with the Discussions. I suppose that the site has to verify my login and that might slow it down since the Discussions page has no tunes requiring rendering.

I think the rendering is a red herring - if it were that, I’d notice it consistently, and I don’t.

Posted by .

Usually I open the site by going directly to discussions or tunes. Both open almost instantly. Out of curiosity I’ve tried opening the home page and yes, it takes quite a long time.

I usually open up the site by going to a discussion or tune as well. Sometimes, though, if I open it up by going to a recording, I’m not shown as being logged in.

25 seconds to load from google to home page but once on the site everything is fast as usual.

It’s funny but I had *imagined* that if anything my connection had sped up over the last few weeks. I always go direct to the discussion page with no trouble.

Posted by .

Perhaps the ISP is throttling things a tad.

I have the same experience as All Moldy: Going straight to the Discussion page is very fast, but the load time on the Home page is very slow. Something is hanging up the Home page.

If I log on to the site through face book it’s fine…if I go through Google it takes ages to load.

@ fairweather fiddler
I’m confused, why would you log on through a third-party? All you need for your browser is a bookmark to the part of the session you want to go to such as: https://thesession.org/discussions .

I ran a Chrome devtools network timeline and on my 120 Mbit connection from San Diego, CA, there is an initial delay at the start of about 3 seconds when it’s looks like it’s waiting for serviceworker.js to complete something, then things are very fast.

I’ve taken some steps to remedy this.

It looks like the issue was indeed with the serviceworker.js file, which runs some tasks when you first return to the site. I’ve simplified its functionality so it shouldn’t block loading any more. It might take a visit or two to get the changes, but hopefully things will be zipping along better from now on.