Hornpipes with more than 2 parts

Hornpipes with more than 2 parts

I was having a discussion with a friend about Fisher’s Hornpipe. The old-time community plays a third part. It made me think. I’ve never played a hornpipe with more than 2 parts. Does anyone know of any in the Irish tradition?

Posted by .

Re: Hornpipes with more than 2 parts

The Derry hornpipe
The Groves.
The Drunken Sailor
Murphy’s
The Cuckoo’s nest.

McDermott’s, if you play the four part version that’s absorbed the Flowers of Antrim. And (versions of?) Johnny Cope.

The Belfast Hornpipe

Across the Fence comes to mind.

The High Level
Sean Bhean Bhoct

Johnston’s Hornpipe

Mulqueeney’s Hornpipe - G major

The vast majority of the Scottish hornpipes from the Highland piping world have four parts. I could list a hundred of them easily.

Then there’s Jim Tweedie’s Sea Legs that was originally composed with five parts, but a sixth was added later and is often heard.

It’s a story-tune, the five parts telling the state of Mr Tweedie’s sea-legs as he crossed five different seas on his journey from New Zealand to Britain.

The Galway Hornpipe.

Thanks everyone!

Posted by .

Good heavens.
What a mission. Well done.
I reckon I might have a crack at that (have to put chords to it for the p/accordion).

@jeff_lindqvist, if you note the comment I left on "The Galway" ten years ago, I mention the four part version of the tune. This is the "McDermott’s" I mentioned above in this thread, and presumably also what Daniel meant.

Fair enough, I first heard the combo as a four part tune, however with the note that the first half was actually called Galway hornpipe. From my experience, the Galway HP is played in sessions now and then, but nobody ever pairs it up with McDermott’s.

For sure loads of people know the 2-part version and the 4-part version is much less common, which makes starting the 4-part in a session a very dicey proposition. Doesn’t mean it’s not a valid 4-part hornpipe. (One of two 4-parters that I play at home but generally not out.)

Thinking about it, the only 3+ part hornpipes I ever remember hearing in a session are the Belfast and Johnny Cope, and I mostly remember the time I heard Johnny Cope because one of the other players later commented "Who the hell starts a six part hornpipe in a session?!?"

The Kylebrack Rambler (Finbar Dwyer) is awesome. 3 parts A mix.

Kylebrack Rambler… fantastic tune, but surely it’s a reel ?

My recommendation for a hornpipe with more than 2 parts would definitely be The Drunken Sailor.