Adding first tune ruined!

Adding first tune ruined!

There was a recent discussion where I brought up the hornpipe Rathven Market and when I looked in the Tunes section (trying different spellings) I didn’t see it.

So I went about adding my first tune here.

All went well until, after the whole tune was done, I was adding the comments.

I wanted to change one of my comments, and when I selected the place in the text and hit "backspace" it went out of the "add a tune" section altogether and my work was lost. (It’s a 5 part tune and took a while to write in ABC.)

Lessons learned 1) copy the body of the tune before adding comments and 2) when doing the overview of the completed tune don’t hit the "backspace" button.

Well back to work! Going for a 2nd attempt.

Re: Adding first tune ruined!

I admire you’re resilience. At the end of the day many will benefit.

I always write out the abc score in a Word document before copying and pasting it into the box.

Sure Richard, write elsewhere and test, then copy & paste.

Yes that would have been wise! I know now.

Anyhow here’s the thing https://thesession.org/tunes/17859

When I got that Kentigern album in 1980 I loved Rathven Market and immediately learned it, but I’ve yet to meet anyone who knew it, or hear anyone play it. Pity.

A YouTube search did show a couple Pipe Bands who played it, I’ll have to give those a listen.

Aye, I’ve always thought it a shame that Ian hasn’t written more, but he’s a busy man.

Posted by .

I always write my ABC in a player app, so I can listen to it and make sure I didn’t make any mistakes… Then copy it to thesession. Anyway, congrats on your first tune posting, Richard! I find it gets harder and harder to run across tunes that aren’t in the repository here (unless they’re newly composed).

You can also test out your ABCs here, preview how the sheet music will look, and download the ABC for safekeeping:

https://thesession.org/tunes/editor

Hope that helps!

Posted by .

My first tune also went very strange: looked perfect before I posted it: not tried again since. Will think about it!

If you’d done what I suggested, Trish, it would have been fine (see the setting under yours). Square brackets are wonderful.

Sorry Donald! Perhaps I give up too easily, but I WILL try again! I had sort of forgotten about it until that thread popped up again a couple of days ago!
But it would be nice if we could post standard notation scores and have some session elf convert them to ABC for us!

It’s the other way found, Trish: posting abc code and having a session elf convert it to standard notation scores.