Collection of fiddle tunes for viola

Collection of fiddle tunes for viola

I hope this is appropriate to the "discussions" area.
I’ve just put out a collection of fiddle tunes transcribed and transposed into alto clef for viola. The collection is fairly large (~450 tunes). Not all the tunes are Irish, but there’s a healthy number of Irish tunes there. The collection is for free to use and to share, with only one requirement - it must be for free : no reproduction in whole or in part for any profit of any kind. Many of the tunes are under copyright, and the composers and copyright holders agreed to let me include their tunes without charging royalties because I’m not making anything from the collection. There are two versions: a large format with, usually, one to three tunes per page; and a small format with more like four to six tunes per page. Other than the format, the two versions are identical. If you’re still reading and interested, you can send me a message through The Session, or you can use this link to a Google Drive folder with the PDFs and zip file(s):
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1euNCa3b7xbmr8lDaUubwc5O1h31_bBaQ
All the best, and I hope someone enjoys the tunes,
Ralph

Re: Collection of fiddle tunes for viola

That’s pretty cool inasmuch as I know someone that’s entering into the ITM realm and plays a viola. Is there an abc version as well?

That comment goes for me as well, I also have a viola-playing friend who might be interested.

This should be of interest to mandola players as well. You may want to post it at Mando Cafe too.

rpalmer - that’s really useful !

Thanks for posting.

I’m afraid there is *not* an ABC version. Just the PDF. I used to use ABC a lot, but started transcribing some more complex music, and started using LilyPond with Frescobaldi. Not super simple, or even drag-and-drop, but neither is ABC. Anyway, LilyPond and Frescobaldi are both free and open source. And amazingly flexible.
Anyone who wants to re-post or share the link to the Google Drive folder, go right ahead!

Are they straight transcriptions from treble to alto clef? The abc converter @ http://www.mandolintab.net/abcconverter.php can generate a pdf from abcs if you include clef in the header & transpose down one octave.

Below the K: info field type in
K:clef=alto
or
K:alto
Remeber to transpose down.

Posted by .

Most of them are straight down one octave into alto clef, but not all. I think the biggest reasons I used LilyPond/Frescobaldi rather than ABC were that I had become much more used to using LilyPond/Frescobaldi, and that combination also made the construction of three separate "collections" (large format public, small format public, and personal) much faster and easier than with ABC. I don’t remember if you can choose your output font with ABC. (My personal collection has about 100 more tunes - they’re under copyright, and I couldn’t get permission to share, so I can’t share the transcriptions.)

i love this idea. good job! i don’t play or read alto, but it appears to be the same key as fiddle.

how would you do something like farewell to erin, where there are settings that use all 4 strings on the fiddle? farewell to erin has a setting that meets that criteria if you want an example.

considering cgda tuning a tenor banjo, so very interested in how you’d approach something like that.

again, great job!

Regarding tunes with settings that use all four strings on the fiddle …
There is more than one way of dealing with the problem. Sometimes you can switch octaves between the A and B parts; the tune isn’t exactly the same, but when you’re playing with a bunch of fiddles, flutes, guitars, and/or whistles, it doesn’t sound bad. Sometimes you can switch octaves or use another note in the same chord when one note goes out of range. With some, I just don’t try - they can’t be easily played on viola, unless you want to move to fifth position. I have a couple of viola tunes in the collection, too, that may not be able to be played as they are written on the fiddle.