Tony MacMahon ~ Slán Leis an gCeol

Tony MacMahon ~ Slán Leis an gCeol

I know there’s a few people here who are fans of the box playing of Tony MacMahon, a difficult man at times by all accounts but a great musician. There was a fine hour long documentary on RTE TV last week, called Slán Leis an gCeol or Farewell to the Music. If you can get the RTE Player online, you can view it here: https://www.rte.ie/player/series/slan-leis-an-gceol/SI0000005532?epguid=IP000064548

There’s some fine snatches of music in it and old archival recordings of Tony & others in his heyday but the documentary is as much about the effects of aging and Parkinsons combined with the black dog of depression as Tony puts it. Stylishly put together and well worth watching, even if the perspective is all from Tony’s side with little or none from family or others.

If the RTE Player doesn’t work for you, maybe it’ll appear on YouTube at some stage.

Posted .

Re: Tony MacMahon ~ Slán Leis an gCeol

Hi Kilcash, Thanks for linking to what looks like a good programme, I can get the RTE player but the link given comes up as " Uh oh. Looks like you’re lost..Seems like the page you were looking for doesn’t exist."

Hmm, clicking on the above link works fine here in Ireland, I’ve just double checked. Try a search in the RTE Player for the title Slan Leis an gCeol or just Tony MacMahon or Tony McMahon. That might bring it up for you.

Posted .

" Uh oh. Looks like you’re lost..Seems like the page you were looking for doesn’t exist."
In the land of kangaroos and koalas.

Looks like geo blocking is at play. That’s a pity as there’d be as much if not more interest in docs like this abroad. If you have a virtual private network, you can probably set up an Irish IP address and view that way, otherwise I suppose it’ll make it’s way eventually to youtube.

Posted .

I’ve watched it. As usual, the one thing RTÉ and TG4 can do outstandingly well is Irish-themed documentaries, and the background work on this is up to the usual standard. Some outstanding clips and archival footage in it, and a great musician and ambassador for Irish music on television he surely was.

It’s hard to warm to him through it though; whether that’s the personality of the man or perhaps the way it’s edited. Opinionated he surely is, and at times appears to have taken extreme positions and interpretations of what Irish music is and how it should be replicated with no regard for the immersive and integrative nature of music, and how those forces combined to produce what he considered to be the music he identified with.