Catherine McEvoy tune set ID

Catherine McEvoy tune set ID

This lovely TG4 video of Catherine McEvoy and (I’m assuming) her family popped up in my YouTube feed the other day & I found myself at a loss as to the tunes. I believe the clip comes from the Gradam Ceoil awards show, likely when she was honored as "Musician of the Year". I get the sense that the first two could very well be compositions of herself, with the third reel being one I recognize as traditional, although I haven’t a name for that one either. As usual, many thanks in advance of everyone’s tune sleuthing- cheers!

-jaychoons

Re: Catherine McEvoy tune set ID

I’m not sure, but just wanted to comment and say that I have heard some McEvoy songs before and she really does sound great.

Catherine McEvoy is a national treasure. Love her playing and this (https://thesession.org/recordings/279) "Traditional Flute Music In The Sligo-Roscommon Style" is one of my all time favourite flute chill out albums. Such lovely clean playing.

Don’t recognise the first - the second sounds as though someone’s been playing around with "The Drunken Landlady" [ so to speak ]. Jeff got the third.

Posted by .

Isn’t Ms. Mulcahey playing "Down the Broom" as the first tune?

No, I don’t think so. She is playing The Crosses of Annagh, and that is not what Catherine McEvoy and her family are playing for the second tune of their set. The first and second tunes there have yet to be recognized. The third tune I know as O’Gorman’s, as was noted previously.

Posted by .

Ms. Mulcahy’s set is The Cottage In The Glen/The Bush In Bloom

Posted by .