a muted or quiet whistle

a muted or quiet whistle

Hello

Have you allready heard about a muted or quiet whistle
my wife could be very interested ;)
Thank you for your suggestions

Posted by .

Re: a muted or quiet whistle

To mute a whistle, you can use Terry McGee’s bluetack trick ( a little lump in front of the fipple )
I prefer wrap an elastic band around the fipple/vent.

That will dampen the sound. With the elastic band you can adjust it to vary the air.
Try that.
Pat

Parks has some that you can buy, but they require *a lot* more air pressure when playing. Not my favourite ones.

Stick a paper clip in the windway. Works great.

I have tried to mute my whistles as described above but found it altered the playing characteristics of my whistles so much it was counter-productive to my practise. So I stopped doing it. I rather not play until time and place allows for playing my whistles full force.

Posted by .

The Shush whistle is great. It’s a lot quieter than a normal whistle and it plays perfectly in tune, whereas for me blutac always alters the pitch. Requires less air pressure than normal. If I play with someone else I notice that the tone isn’t great, but then it is a practice whistle.

I love my black Parks Walkabout High D whistle which comes with a muting slider called “tone ring”. Yes, you need more air pressure when put on “mute” at the extreme end of the dial but you might just want to quieten your whistle down (instead of muting) by sliding the dial halfway down. There is then no major difference to the air pressure and it still sounds nice and chiffy but quiet enough for me practising at midnight. Highly recommend!

PS: and of course, you have a “normal” relatively loud whistle if you don’t use the tone ring..

Instead of blowing through the fipple, block it against your chin and
blow down and across the windway. This gives a quiet hissing sound that
can’t be heard in the next room, but you can practice tunes that way.

And there’s a place in heaven for discrete, non-shrieking session whistle players.