Banjo Albums - Have I missed any good ones?

Banjo Albums - Have I missed any good ones?

Hi everyone, I’ve recently bought some wonderful banjo albums through Bandcamp, itunes and vinyl through Discogs, and I’m hungry for more and wondering if I’ve missed any really good ones?

The records that I currently have on repeat are:
Shane Mulchrone - Solid Ground (current fav)
All of Angelina Carberry’s albums
Kieran Hanrahan - Plays tenor banjo
Páraic Mac Donnchadha - Not Before Time (He plays with wonderful rhythm)
Mick Moloney - No Strings Attached
Enda Scahill - Pick me up
Pauline Conneely - All Because
Theresa O’Grady - Banjo’ista
Kevin Griffin - Across the Pond (not a solo album but a great one)
Angela Usher - The Gort Mile
Brian McGrath - Pure Banjo
Colm Naughton - The space between the notes
Seamus Eagan - In your Ear

I realise that that’s a lot already but would anyone know if there are any classics I’ve missed? Not necessarily solo outings? Many thanks!

Re: Banjo Albums - Have I missed any good ones?

Of course that should be Seamus Egan (not Eagan) oops I didn’t check my spelling

Ah brilliant thanks Kenny, I missed these ones and wasn’t aware of this album by Kevin Griffin

You’ve left Cathal Hayden out! "Handed Down" was a bit lo-tech but brilliant playing. "Hooked on Banjo" is a master-class(ic)!

Ah Cathal Hayden! :-) of course - I know the player but completely missed the albums, thanks!!

Kenny, I just caught a clip of Brian Kelly on youtube, I didn’t know of this player before he’s great!

Enda Scahill and Paul Brock have a great album, Humdinger
There’s lots of amazing single tracks of banjo on Séamus Egan’s solo albums.

Posted by .

Have we all forgotten Gerry O’Connor ? [ Tipperary ].

Posted by .

Gerry O’Connor - Time to Time, No Place Like Home, Myriad
Both the late Darren Maloney’s albums
I was typing this as you posted, Kenny!

Posted by .

Gerry O’Connor - ah how did I miss him :-o

Thanks Dunnp! I’ll check out Humdinger :-)
Thanks Gonzo! I didn’t know of Darren Maloney’s albums, but I’ve seen his playing on youtube, I’ll do a search

Stevie Dunne’s two albums.
Sully and Johnny Keenan (Paddy’s brother) - Dublin Banjos.
Margaret Barry - perhaps Her Mantle So Green

Posted by .

We Banjo 3 - nor everyones cup of tea but I enjoy them. Early De Dannan with Charlie Piggott, also 4 Men and a Dog featuring the previously mentioned Gerry O Connor

Thanks Kenny!

We Banjo 3, love those guys, thanks Christy. Ah Four Men and a Dog, I’d heard of them but it had never occurred to me to look up their albums, excellent. Would I be right in thinking Brian McGrath was part of this group for a while?

Thanks again Gonzo, Margaret Barry is another new name to me, ah Stevie Dunn! Yes I’ve heard him play but didn’t know about his albums, cheers :-)

Andy, yes Brian McGrath was certainly on ‘Barking Mad’ the recording I’m most familiar with.

Thanks Christy, I had a doubt. I guess they swapped around banjo players a bit

John Carty - I will If I Can
Eamonn Coyne - (any of his stuff)
Noel Bermingham - When The Tide Is Out
Damaris Woods - With A Banjo On My Knee (gets a bit out there, but the girl plays a mean banjo)
Sean O’Driscoll - So There You Go

Thanks Reverend!
John Carty of course! I forgot to add, I love that album. I’ve been enjoying his new album with Maggie Carty too.
The others are all new to me so that’s great, lots more new listening :-)

John Carty’s first solo album, "The Cat That Ate The Candle", was mainly banjo rather than fiddle if I remember correctly.

Posted by .

Ah yes thanks Kenny, I haven’t been able to get my hands on that one yet. I check on ebay and discogs from time to time to see if the cd comes up as I would love to hear it - John Carty and Brian McGrath, it must be brilliant. Good to know there’s banjo on there.

Thanks Spindleshanks, yes it’s a fantastic album one of my favourites :-)

PM sent Andy.

Posted by .

The Transatlantic Anthology- The Dubliners (but I’m really tempted to say their entire output- McKenna is God)

Selected Jigs, Songs, and Reels- De Dannan (Christy Taylor beat me to it- Charlie Pigott is spectacular)

Introducing The Pecker- Pecker Dunne (zither banjo played with a plectrum rather than ITB- his version of "Boys of Bluehill" makes me want to switch!)

Thanks GreatHighlandBanjo, I’ll check out that De Dannan album, I heard some of Charlie Piggot’s playing online last night, love it!
Pecker Dunn I have heard of but never heard play I’ll have a search :-)

Cheers Triplet Upstairs, Peter Carberry, good call, I’ll check out that album I love Angelina’s playing.
Alan Reid I’ve heard on youtube, love his playing and hadn’t realised he’d made an album. The Dave Cory album I just heard some snippets of on the CDbaby site, it sounds great!

Andy, I believe Charlie Piggott injured his fretting hand [slammed in a van door?] so had to give up banjo but went on to develop his accordian playing outside the band- he’s only on the earlier DD recordings.

Here’s one that I enjoy, with very tasteful banjo playing (very much to my taste anyway) by a thesession member.
https://thesession.org/recordings/3861

Midleton Rare, with Daithi Kearney and John Cronin.

I didn’t know that Christy, ouch - I read that he moved to accordian but didn’t realise before why.

Hey thanks Stiamh! I just found the album on CDbaby having a listen to samples it sounds excellent will buy.

Thanks TMitchell, again I found a link to the album I’ll check it out :-)

Desi Kelleher is brilliant.

Adrian McAuliffe & Cathal Flood - "Between the Strings"
Sean O’Driscoll & Larry Egan - "The Kitchen Recordings" (mostly accordion/banjo duet)
Brian Kelly’s second album "A Plain of Jars" and his first self-titled album are both very good.
Ditto on Patrick Gray’s suggestion of Cathal Hayden’s "Hooked on Banjo" — awesome album! Cathal also has a "Live in Belfast" CD that has some great banjo tracks on it, and overall is a wonderful album.

Dreaming up the Tunes - Johnny Óg Connolly (box) and Brian McGrath (banjo)

Cool thanks everyone, your replies have given me so much new music to listen to! I love hearing the different styles of play and different versions of the tunes. Many albums listed too that I didn’t know of at all

Time to Time by Gerry O’Connor has to be one of the best banjo Cds in Irish Music, and it has a such a modern sound to it. I listen to it over and over, and hear something new. I love that there are his own compostions on it.

Not sure where you can find it, but Kevin Griffin plays on Celli Bandits "Hanging at the Crossroads". I picked it up in Doolin from the little music store there. Kevin’s banjo is a goodin!

A trip to Doolin might be necessary, and the excuse to give your wife is "You need to get some great banjo music". Oh yea, and don’t forget to see the Cliffs of Moher. Slainte!

I think that one of the best is "Pickin’ Time" by Garry O’Meara

Ah yes, thanks. I have this one on iTunes I haven’t listened to it in a long while. He’s an impressive banjo player!

Hi Patrick thanks for the advice! Oh yes, I need to head over and visit a good record store in Ireland, I bet there are some gems to be found :-) I’ll give Gerry O’Connor another listen I don’t really know this album very well