Why do some modern trad artists or bands not have a Web site or FB page?

Why do some modern trad artists or bands not have a Web site or FB page?

I have come across this multiple times. I am oftentimes curious about finding out more information about an artist or group, and there are some occasions where, when I Google a name, all that comes up is their album. (Granted, I don’t use Facebook, and know that some artists have switched completely to using FB but often their pages do not come up on Google). Some recent examples I can think of are the Good Tunes Band (a group who have created a wonderful album that I have just added) and John Graham Donaldson, who has an excellent recording of folk songs from all over England. Wouldn’t artists/groups want to create a Web site or at least a FB page just to gain some more followers? (I know many do, I am asking about the ones that don’t).

Re: Why do some modern trad artists or bands not have a Web site or FB page?

There are many people that dislike Facebook for a dozen reasons. Website development can be quite expensive for a professionally designed site.

WordPress is free, and very easy to set up a good-looking and highly functional website, using minimal I.T. skills.

I personally think a website is preferable to a Facebook page, as there are far less distractions.

No messages, friends / newsfeed notifications, etc while you are browsing the site.

Maybe they’re too busy playing to bother.

I suspect the reality is that the traditional music fan (as in the traditional fan of music) is not a particularly lucrative source of income these days, and that marketing directly to fans is not necessarily an effective use of time.

Posted by .

You need one of two things to set up a professional-looking web site. One would be a band member who already has the skills to do it. That means keeping up with a constantly changing set of tools, and creating multiple versions of the site for PC, tablet, and mobile viewing (or increasingly, one very sparse design for mobile that looks bad on PC). That may not be a common skill set for working musicians. I was "that guy" for a couple of bands, but they were part-time bands and I had a background in the tech.

The other way is hiring someone to do it, which isn’t cheap if you want something decent. You don’t just need a web site design, you need someone to keep the site continually updated with press releases, tour info, new album release info, etc. It can get expensive, unless the site is set up with a content management system where one of the band members can log in and keep the site updated. There will also be a monthly hosting fee, although these days it’s not that much.

Either way it’s done, someone in the band, or a band member’s partner, has to take charge of answering email or web comment forwarded email from fans and people looking for information. For a popular enough band, that can be almost a full-time job.

For all those reasons, many bands use Facebook because it’s free, not too difficult for a band member to manage a presence, and you’ll reach a lot of people. For a popular enough band though, you really need a web site as well as FB presence. There are increasing numbers of people who have never been on FB, like young people who use Instagram or other platforms, or are leaving it. I’ll never see anything on FB because I’ve never had an account there, and never will.

Thanks for all the replies. That makes sense. I, too, much prefer a Web site to FB, but didn’t realize how much work it was to create and maintain a Web site.

It is indeed true that folk music is not where the money is. And if you have a local following with regular shows, a website isn’t absolutely necessary. That being said, I run the FB, Instagram, and website for my band, and we’ve seen clear benefit from our online presence. Part of it could also be local word of mouth getting people to shows, but I think some amount of it is online promotion. Keep in mind though that I write software for a living, but FB, Instagram, and WordPress can all be had for small price, so I definitely recommend them for a growing band.

One thing commented on, on another forum, is the lack of decent high res photos on some artistes’ websites (if they have one!) while pics on Facebook, yes, they can be downloaded, tend to be pretty low resolution, just a few kb. I make up posters for our local folk club, which include a photo of the next guest(s). Yes, you can find pics on Google images, but usually low res. Some websites have a "press page" or "gallery" where you can find photos to use, but even then, these can sometimes be very low res or in unusual formats which make them difficult to open. With one such recently, I emailed the band to ask for a photo I’d seen, but could not open, on their gallery: the jpeg version sent was 14mB, and would this be high enough res? Er, yes!
I know this is not quite addressing the OP’s question, but I think it is both related and relevant, in relation to artistes promoting themselves.

Hmm, let’s see if I understand this. People who prefer to play tunes that are decades, if not centuries, old, on acoustic instruments, may not be up to date on the latest electronic technology. Seems the two things would go hand in hand! 🙂