Pedal problems - keyboard/piano players

Pedal problems - keyboard/piano players

In a wee change from all the recent flutey posts, any ideas how to SAFELY cure a squeaking piano/keyboard pedal, specifically an M-Audio SP-2? My first one lasted 3 years before developing an annoying squeak every time I depressed it. Squirted in a bit of WD-40: cured the squeak but killed the pedal (maybe pure coincidence, destined to die then anyway?): no sustain thereafter!
Bought a new one, same model, as that previous one had served me not TOO badly (£5 per year?) but now the new one is squeaking after only 3 months of use!! Probably not noticeable when playing with the band and we’re all miked up/ connected to PA, but damned annoying when you’re trying to play solo, un-amplified! Very obtrusive!
(My piano is a Casio Privia: the pedal that came with it was rubbish!)

Re: Pedal problems - keyboard/piano players

My last pedal (unknown brand) developed a squeak. The squeak was caused by the hinge screws. They had loosened up and the motion was causing vibration/friction in the wrong places.

See if yours are loose. If they are, try reinstalling them with some low strength thread lock. (Loctite blue)

Word of advice: take out only one hinge screw at a time. This keeps the assembly together and saves you a lot of headaches.

Posted by .

FWIW, I have since switched to Korg Ps1 pedal. I’m not much of a piano player, so the simplicity and short pedal travel suit me better. No squeaks yet.

Posted by .

Re: Pedal problems - keyboard/piano oplayers

I won’t squeak until I’m squoken to.

At three months, I’d feel entirely justified in returning it, unless you were unlucky enough to buy it from Red Dog Music…

Posted by .

First up, yes that seems to be par for the course with that style of pedal. Second, use a dry lubricant like graphite, never an oil. Oil not only runs the risk of shorting the contacts in the pedal, it also attracts more dirt and debris, which can be a problem as it may worsen the squeak. And finally, I went to a Studiologic VFP1-10 sustain pedal. It’s more like a traditional sustain found on a real piano. Doesn’t slide around as much either. For Casio, make sure you get the VFP1-10. The VFP1-15 and VFP1-20 are for other brands of keyboards.

I agree with returning it at only 3 months, but if you really want to lube it up, I’d recommend dielectric grease or silicon lubricant. Use WAY WAY less than you think you need. The dielectric is nice because even if it somehow got into the electrical workings (it shouldn’t if you’re using the ammount you really need) it won’t affect anything, same should go for most silicon greases. They also shouldnt’ attract dirt if you are using the amount you need. For something the size of what you are talking about you need maybe a pin heads worth. I’d be applying it with a toothpick or something along those lines.

Avoid the WD-40 for newer stuff unless you have some reason to believe dirt or grit has gotten into the metal workings. It’s a cleaner, not a lubricant, so on new stuff that is clean it isn’t a long term fix. On older stuff try WD-40 followed by a lubricant for best results.

IMHO don’t use anything in a spray. You just can’t control where things are going to end up.

I saw someone suggested graphite, which isn’t necessarily a bad idea, but powdered graphite, assuming that is what was meant, tends to scatter like crazy, so maybe tape behind the screw before you put it on, or even remove the casing to apply the graphite.

Posted by .

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys: probably going down the line of returning it as it’s still in warranty, and might well invalidate said warranty by trying to lubricate it. Got it via Amazon, so a bit of a pain to go through their returns procedure. (Shame about Red Dog Music, by the way - they were very helpful to our band re PA equipment.)
Have looked at the one you suggested, Chuck, but "currently unavailable" at Amazon, who don’t know when it will be in stock again! Will try the local music shops.

I posted the same question on Amazon, and the manufacturers have picked up on it, so now in correspondence with them: hoping for a good outcome!