Is the fipple plastic bit (fipple?) the cause of the raspy rattling sound on second octave of whistle?

Is the fipple plastic bit (fipple?) the cause of the raspy rattling sound on second octave of whistle?

I have been experimenting a bit with my 3 different whistle I have recently.

I have dixon D, faedog D and generation D. Only the dixon doesn’t have this raspy ‘rattle’ on the second octave.

I started to get tired of the chunky feel and muffled kind of sound the dixon has so I wanted to have a go with the metal ones again as I thought experience might have allowed me to handle them better in the year or so since I tried, having played mostly on the dixon.

Well I practice all the time on the generation but it is with blue tack over the hole on the hole on the mouthpiece. What I have always noticed when doing this is, besides the muted sound, it always makes the otherwise harsh and raspy rattle of the unmuted metal whistle much more soft.

Now I always thought this was just due to the overall sound being softer but now as I just tried playing without last night and I just now put the blue tack on again I noticed something new. I noticed that when the bluetack was covering the hole but was not pushed high enough to slightly go over the edge of the top of the mouth opening then the sound was still harsh.

Then as soon as I pushed it so it moved over it somewhat then the tone became soft.

I am now wondering if that harsh rattle when not using bluetack could be because of some jagged/irregular form on that opening as I read somewhere on here people recommending that you sand that down in an attempt to tweak and nasty sounding faedog or generation.

Thoughts? I suppose I should just try sanding and see because I prefer playing these metal ones to the plastic one; they feel more authentic and also sound moreso; the dixon has always felt toylike and the sound muffled compared to these but I just went along with it but I would prefer to find a way to get a working metal one.

I don’t think it is my bad technique as has been speculated before because the generation, while it rattles, doesn’t do so nearly as much as the faedog and the dixon not at all.

I can still overblow on the high D or E sometimes but that is a different issue/sound than this rattling raspy shriek.

Re: Is the fipple plastic bit (fipple?) the cause of the raspy rattling sound on second octave of whistle?

Or are you just reacting to the effect of a narrower bore? A narrow bore will "favour" the upper octave, to the extent that many will find it a bit shrill. A wide bore will "favour" a stronger lower octave, to the extent that some will argue the top octave is dull or muted. If you measure the bore diameters of the three whistles, do they become more shrill as the bore reduces?

(If you don’t have calipers to measure the bores, you can compare them by rolling a cone of paper and marking how far the cone penetrates each bore.)