Green Briar Pub in Brighton (Boston) Closing

Green Briar Pub in Brighton (Boston) Closing

Word comes to us that the Green Briar Pub is closing,with one more Monday night sesh this Monday 39 April 2019, and that will be the last. This is the oldest running session in Boston, and some say among the oldest anywhere, having been started at the legendary Village Coach House by Larry Reynolds and Seamus Connolly. After that pub closed, the session moved to the ‘Briar, where it ran for nearly another 30 years, with a warm-up sesh at 7, and the auld fellers coming in at 9, playing until closing.

Think on it: a sesh with Larry Reynolds, Seamus Connolly, Sean Potts, Johnny Cunningham, Mick Maloney, Paddy Keenan, Frank Ferrel, , Brendan Tonra, Jimmy Noonan, Tommy Sheridan, Mike Reynolds, Colm Gannon, Joe Derrane, and Jimmy Marshall plus Susan Zimelis, Helen Keishel, MikeMcKinley, Bill Black, Ruth Rappaport, Elisa Welch, Shannon Heaton, Amanda Cavanaugh, Neil McMillan, Sean Connor, Colleen Cunningham, Stephan Lindsay, Jack White and (yes!) Seamus Heaney, and twenty or thirty other hotshots from both sides of the Pond. On a given night most of those people might have been there at the same time. It was amazing, utterly amazing.

All things pass in our thermodynamic universe but all the people and all the music we all encountered at the Monday night sesh grew our own musicianship and changed our lives forever. It has been a privilege, and I shall raise a glass. Call the next tune!

Posted by .

Re: Green Briar Pub in Brighton (Boston) Closing

I’m in Boston that day, I’d love to go! What an amazing lineup too. Sorry to hear it’s closing.

sigh. realize things come & go, but never really considered the briar closing. frankly I took it for granted & didn’t go very often, so I guess I’m part of the problem.

Posted by .

sad news! :(