Fintan vallely A Complete Guide to Learning the Irish Flute

Fintan vallely A Complete Guide to Learning the Irish Flute

Hi everyone,

Does this tutorial good for tin whistle learners ?

Posted by .

Re: Fintan vallely A Complete Guide to Learning the Irish Flute

I like it for both flute & whistle. I don’t have the new one though. Mine is the original version.

Posted by .

I have the current edition. There is plenty of information that can be applied to whistle, although it’s still very much a flute-oriented introduction and method. It has information about the history of the flute in Irish music, advice on choosing one, advice on flute hold and embouchure. There are a few other things that don’t apply to whistle like breath articulation (pulse), but it should be easy to figure out which parts to skip.

One potential downside is that the companion CD with 180 tracks of examples and music is all on flute. You can certainly learn something from that, but a more whistle-oriented tutorial with CD might serve you better if you’re looking for audio examples of the included material.

It’s still a good general tutorial for the methods that are in common between the two instruments. For flute alone, it’s my 2nd favorite tutorial after Conal O’Grada’s “An Fheadog Mhor”. After going through it, you may even be tempted to switch to flute. 🙂

In my opinion, no.

Posted by .

Thank you for your precious advices
It’s really great

Bruno

Posted by .