How many other Session contributors do you know?

How many other Session contributors do you know?

While recognising that thesession has members all around the globe, and love hearing from people in Canada, USA, Australia, NZ, Ireland, England, Wales and other European countries about their session experiences, I just wondered how many of you know each other in real life, or have even met as a result of contributing here? It is apparent from some posts that some of you actually play music together, but others who have become friends (or sparring partners!?) from interacting with each other on the site.
Before I joined "the session" I was on Mudcat (still am) and met quite a few other Mudcatters this way, including various visitors to Edinburgh looking for folk clubs or sessions to go to, and also going to a Scottish "Mudgather" arranged by one of the Scottish Mudcatters.
I also used to be on the Scottish "Footstompin" forum, which again brought me into real life contact with a number of people who were otherwise just names on an Internet page.
Looking forward to meeting one of thesession contributors again (real life!) tomorrow at a musical event.
A shared interest in music, including writing tunes, is a big bond.

Re: How many other Session contributors do you know?

I personally know a few members, here. One in Idaho corresponded offline with me until I moved there from California. He is now one of my best friends and we play together at a weekly session.

Posted by .

I probably know about 15-20 regular forum members in person. They range from people I know through the local session scene, students whom I’ve told about thesession, people I met at sessions and festivals - not realizing that they were regular members, to people who I met through thesession when I’m traveling and ended up being friends. I even had someone greet me at a festival as "Reverend" last Fall. ;-)

It’s a great resource for meeting people, although I haven’t used the "trip" feature yet, but maybe as I’m traveling this summer!

Met Jeremy at Willy Clancy!

20 years ago when I was active on Irtrad-L, I sometimes met members at Willie Clancy. But TheSession members? Who knows? A handful?

I know you, Trish! And Donald K and Kenny and Johnny Jay. I used to know Tattie Bogle.

I know and have met quite a few people from the forum.

However, I do try not to continue discussions off line and try as much as possible to keep the two spheres separate. Partly because what is happening at the time in the real world is usually much more interesting and also because it’s unfair to other people who may be in the company.

So grateful for this site.
I met… accompanied… and look forward to more of…
The inimitable…… *Gobby*
:)

I thought I was accompanying you Pete!

Posted by .

Two.

Only a couple - there are a couple I’d love to meet - but I’m so deeply embarrassed by most of what I type on here tbh :)

I think I’m better at tunes than getting my thoughts across on text!

Yes, I know Nigel, Johnny Jay and Donald. Have met Kenny, though he may not remember that. On the other forums I was on, it was sometimes a revelation to discover eventually who were behind certain pseudonyms, if they were happy enough to disclose their real identity. (As I am.) Of course, I wouldn’t give the game away if they preferred not to be known.

Not sure what Johnny Jay’s second paragraph is about…..especially "because it’s unfair to other people who may be in the company".

Since many (most?) contributors use nicknames here, I’m not sure.
The two I know that I know are jeff_lindqvist and Longnote.

"because it’s unfair to other people who may be in the company".

They might not know what we are going on about or not be interested. Many get irritated hearing people going "on and on" about things and won’t necessarily get the "in humour" either. It’s best not to exclude people, in my opinion.

I know at least 10 or so off the top of my head, sure there are many more.

I’ve met a fair few over the years, at regular sessions, festivals, etc.

Including Kenny, bogman, Davidfm, Choons, Reverend, Johnny Jay, CreadurMawnorganig, RonP, Ceolachan, as well as a number who don’t post so much now, or who mostly lurk.

heh, heh, heh!
You all in the wrong part of the world for me to meet (I’m jealous really) :)

And, no… Gobby. The way I grew up in music, fiddle - front line, accordion - backing.

Well there’s the ones I know I know, and the ones I know personally, or have met, or have heard play, but haven’t connected to a screen-name here.

For sure when I was in Dublin there was at least one fellow I heard playing at session that, from his posts here, I believe to be the same person.

But I’m not one to intrude on a session, so my wife and I sat off to the side and had a couple pints as inconspicuously as possible for American tourists in Dublin.

Posted by .

callison, you know more of us than that! :-P

I’ve met many over the years, in the UK, Ireland and even as far away as Australia.
There were a few sessions arranged by members at the Willie Clancy weeks some years back although that hasn’t happened recently [ unless they didn’t tell me about them :) ]
There was one very memorable evening in Sandy Bell’s in Edinburgh when "Dow" - [ before he became enobled as "Dr. Dow" ] - came over from Australia. He travelled north to have some tunes with Michael Gill. Zina Lee turned up, which was a pleasant surprise. There was also a fiddle-playing member known at that time as "Orson Cart", or something similar, uilleann piper Eliot Grasso appeared from somewhere, and Ron P and myself came down from Aberdeen. Apologies if I’ve forgotten anyone. This was 7 people, who had never ever all met before, from all over the place, getting together to have a session playing Irish traditional music. It was one of the most enjoyable evening’s music I’ve ever had. Certainly some of us had had disagreements here over the years, but when we all met up in person, we just got on and played music. Such a shame there is no record of it.
A flute player came up to me at last year’s Ballyvourney "Cruinniu" flute gathering, asking if I was "kenny" from "thesession.org". "That’s me, where are you from ?" Answer - "Mongolia".

Posted by .

PS - trish santer, where was it we would have met ? I do apologise, but I don’t recall that without some prompting, maybe.

Posted by .

@Kenny
I think that was also my question when you introduced yourself at the FluteFling last year.
You’re too well known sir! :)

And yeah, I think I’ve probably met around 5-10 "TheSessioneers" in person.

Funny story: I recently got a pm from a member here who claimed he knew a piper who knows me and my playing. He named the fellow, but I don’t know any pipers nor did I know the name. The member was awfully emphatic, given that he was way off identity-wise. Wonder why he and mystery-man would be discussing me, anyway.

Posted by .

Ooops! Sorry Reverend. You make #3. I was hoping to run into AB (Ben) at the KVMR Celtic Festival last September but alas, he didn’t go with his session that time. I’m unlikely to go to that festival again as well, terribly expensive on my budget and to be brutally honest, all of the sessioneers there (San Francisco, Chico, Sacramento, Grass Valley and so forth) were much more advanced than I am. Some terrific music though. I sat quietly and unobtrusively in the back with a very quiet bouzouki. There were probably a fair number of thesession members there but I didn’t talk with anyone.

Hi Kenny, love that post of yours above!
As for where I met you, might have been at Linlithgow Folk Festival a few years back when you were in a band with a weel-kent lady singer….if I’ve got the right Kenny! I might have been MC-ing….or just running around daft trying to make sure everyone was where they were supposed to be and when.

Fair enough. Johnny Jay, not have to have cliquey "in crowd" conversations off forum with people that you know on a forum, but it doesn’t take much to explain to others what you’re talking about, and they may well have a view on the topic too. It is easy to be inclusive if you try.

I know Kess (Kevin) from Belfast and I may know others, I’m more familiar with faces than actual names, it one of my faults forgetting names, probably too much waccy baccy at times hahaha.

I have met a few Session members in person. But, I am newly returned to ITM.

I assume that I probably know others, but it is common for many peoplento lurk rather than get involved in the hurly-burly. I frequent several weekly sessions in Colorado, and of 50-100 different musicians , it is interesting that only a small handful post here (I’m sure they have better things to do!). Probably Reverend/Pete knows more than I do.

Trish and I met again in E’burgh at the storytelling centre and Trish is one of the band (vg). I played "The Banks of Helicon" on fiddle because it is only on the two top strings and that rather suits me. Trish and I have a lot in common, Hail Trish!

NB Banks of Helicon tune was used by Scots poet Montgomerie for his song "Adieu my desie of delight".

Enjoyed that tune, Susan, and meeting you again - and what a lovely fiddle you have!

Session regulars I know in Durham (NE England) are familiar with The Session, and more often than not visiting players - from wherever - are on it as well. We’ll have told a number of people of its existence, who had previously not known about it.

That doesn’t answer the question "How many other session contributors do you know?" My answer would be, "Almost none by name, but probably more than I realise..!" My take is, being a Session contributor and being a session player can be two fairly different departments of one’s musical social life, not actually intersecting that much. I think that’s true in my case and I dare say that of others, but it will surely not be true of everyone.

Hey, Carl. Sorry I missed you in Grass Valley. That would have been cool. Here’s a strange question for you.
Ever listen to anything from Mary Shannon? I thought you might like her music. Cheers!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUdGOFFIQsg

Posted by .

Ben, most of the time that I’ve heard Mary Shannon has been playing behind her much better known sister Shannon and as such, she’s very well synched up to what Sharon’s playing. I don’t believe I’ve run across her in a non-Sharon situation though I admire her ability on the various instruments she plays.

Ref Mary Shannon - also on track 8 of The [great] Sanctuary Sessions (with Gary Shannon and Mossie Griffin)
https://thesession.org/recordings/622

Posted by .

No Idea

Think I might know you too BigDavy!

None because I am new, which is why I didn’t post before.
But I’ve always wondered what it would be like if all of us Session members were to get together and meet. We already have such great discussions online throughout the day while still leading separate lives, but I can only imagine how great the discussions would be live.

And could be a great session too!

> And could be a great session too!

That or a pretty epic fist-fight, or possibly both :D

Posted by .

Yes… I could see both happening. Two words: SHEET MUSIC.

That thought DID cross my mind, but I was too ladylike to mention it!

Yes, me too!

Posted by .

One has been amongst some of you. Mainly in Tooting, Catford, Glasgow & Derry.

I am a broken man Sad and lonely in the Knowledge that I know
no other contributors. Still I look on the bright side they don’t know me.
The imagination is a powerful tool. So I give certain attributes to a name
AB and choons: alphabetically challenged
The Wanderer and rover: Went to Disney land once
Is it gobby or gooby.
My Brothers and Sisters in Session TM land, I Luv,s Yous all. Even the dot readers

@ Mr. Pie Eyed Piper, re:- "Is it gobby or gooby"? As far as I know Gooby is a teddy bear in a movie, whereas Gobby, according to one dictionary definition, is "a person tending to talk too loudly and in a blunt or opinionated way". So you can take your pick as to which hat fits. Actually I was first called Gobby by an Irishman when I was only about 13, We became friends, but I no longer go by the full name he gave me,- i.e., ‘Gobby little shite’.

Posted by .

"Gobby little shite"—what a wonderful name! May I use it in a story? Or is it too personal?

You certainly can use it in a story. It’s a name that I have worn with honour.

Posted by .

"Gobby" makes me think of Dobby the elf in Harry Potter.
I have been to Disneyland, yes. More than once. I’ve just always liked my site name here. Either that or TheWanderingMinstrel, after a tune I really like, but I feel that’s too much of a mouthful.
AB, I have always thought of you as Ben because you often sign your name after a post.

One cannot really satisfy themselves with the fact that they don’t know any contributors and so the contributors may not know anything about them. You could know one without knowing it!

I think I am pretty isolated here in the north of South Australia But you never know. The tyranny of distance.

Aye lad shut the gob i’ll tell youse all another story (lampton worm)
Pie eyed = drunk
Piper = a sad lonely figure on a hill or strapped to a chair
AB = rank an able bodied seaman

"I think I am pretty isolated here in the north of South Australia But you never know. The tyranny of distance". … Hmmm!… Just watch yourself matey. I’ve been known to travel much further than South Australia to visit a pie eyed publican.

Posted by .