Carbony Traditional Irish Flute in D with silver flute finger spacing for people with small hands

Carbony Traditional Irish Flute in D with silver flute finger spacing for people with small hands

Has anyone had any experience with one of these? I’ve had a custom-made Casey Burns small-hands flute for years that served me well, but I’m just coming off of a ten-year hiatus from flute playing due to an injury that became chronic, and I’m finding my dear ol’ Casey a bit heavy, and it just doesn’t fit me as well as it once did. These Carbony flutes sound like they might be easier to play and I’d like to know a bit more about them.
Thanks,
Sasha

Re: Carbony Traditional Irish Flute in D with silver flute finger spacing for people with small hands

The Carbony flutes are very nice. I found them easy to play, with a good tone. And yes, so light!

My flute was made by Casey, and I had no trouble with the Carbony embouchure, so they must be similar.

Re: Carbony Traditional Irish Flute in D with silver flute finger spacing for people with small hands

My first flute was a Carbony. Loved it. Instant gratification - easy to get a reasonable sound out of it. Absolutely ideal for kids as starter due to zero maintenance and indestructible. They aren’t light - carbon fibre approx same weight as blackwood. Rob Gandara makes a good product and is great to deal with - no problem recommending. I have two friends with different "smaller hands" (narrow bore and silver-spacing) models and I’ve played both. I prefer the sound (tone and volume) and tuning on my standard model Carbony.

A Windward maple with offset tone holes might be what you’re looking for - see http://www.windwardflutes.com/maple.html

Posted by .

Thanks to you both for your comments. gbyrne, funny you should mention Windward flutes - I’m planning on visiting their workshop in the next couple of months. However, on this site and others I have read that a Rudall style is better for small hands than a Pratten, and since my Rudall style Casey Burns is not working too well for me at the moment, a Pratten may not be the answer. However, these are all interesting directions for more inquiry.
Sasha

@G&S.. you lucky devil getting to go to Nova Scotia. I’ve never seen or heard Windward’s flutes in person - but if they pour the passion and insights into the making that is expressed via their website - I suspect they make very fine instruments indeed. Their maple flute might also be lighter (fresh pancakes aroma - know what Homer Simpson would choose!).

When I got my Hammy Hamilton flute in December - I found the first month or two was a bit of a challenge with the right hand stretch - perhaps as little as 2-3mm wider than Carbony. So the margins of comfort are very small indeed. Nowadays - no longer notice it - my hands have adjusted.

Except for the fact that you have a chronic injury which may genuinely limit what you are capable of doing - I’d hope perseverance, some physio and lots of time practising might get you back where you want to get to. You could get an Eb flute instead which would be a real 7-8% smaller/lighter. But Eb is a lonely space to occupy. Don’t give up on a D instrument unless you really have to. You might consider a silver (concert) flute as an alternative - if your injury definitely is going to long-term limit your stretch. Best wishes
G

Posted by .

Thanks for the good wishes and the suggestions.
Enjoy!
Sasha