Frankie Gavin’s Roaring Twenties Orchestra?

Frankie Gavin’s Roaring Twenties Orchestra?

Have any of you seen this yet? What are your thoughts? I myself think it is a publicity stunt. There have been many young players who have gone back to the old stuff and bought it out- like Colm Murphy, Jesse Smith, Dylan Foley, etc..

But this is like some Vegas show band. Regressive.. “nostalgic”..

just my opinion.

Re: Frankie Gavin’s Roaring Twenties Orchestra?

Publicity stunt! I wouldn’t agree. It sounds to me like good musicians playing lively tunes with a nod to times gone by. You could say that any act drama/music is a publicity stunt (People doing what they are good at and wanting to share it with as many people as possible, whilst making a living)

Looks and sounds amazing to me!

https://youtu.be/IojoDTGbrTQ

https://youtu.be/0_s_CH3QpB8

https://youtu.be/zG1c2egyIJs

Frankie has long been known for having an appreciation of the early recordings of Irish music made in the USA between the 1920s and 1940s. "The Star Spangled Molly" was mainly re-interpretations of music from that era, as was "Croch Suas E" - his flute album - very much a tribute both to the style and music of John McKenna. So no, it’s not a "publicity stunt". If anything, it’s an affectionate tribute to those early pioneers of recorded Irish music. Whether you like it or not is another matter. I love it. The melodeon player is absolutely amazing. My only slight complaint about the recording which I bought through "iTunes" is that I think the banjo is too much to the front in the mix.

Posted by .

Melodeon player’s name is Emma Corbett.

Posted by .

Frankie Gavin’s latest venture - with the brass section , a little like Bottine Souriante but not as exciting - anyway young Emma Corbett is an exceptional 1 row melodeon player, good that she’s getting some experience ‘on the front line.’ But basically, I preferred ‘Star Spangled Molly’ 30 years ago……………..

oops - my some of my comments just crossed with Kenny!

I agree with you Kenny 100%

Brilliant! Thanks for posting the clips, banjoloon.

Posted by .

My opinion. I loved it!
Not what I would suggest one would hear at a session.
But, I am sure that it might appeal to a wider audience, perhaps even help the cause:- "Has anyone successfully gotten their peers interested in enjoying trad music?"
P.

How are sets of tunes not what you would hear at a session?

Posted by .

I was mentioning the *style* of the performance in the first video.

"How are sets of tunes not what you would hear at a session?"

These aren’t just sets of tunes, it’s a specific instrumentation aimed at the 20’s dance band thing. I enjoyed the video clips, but the sessions I attend wouldn’t be enthusiastic about a bass player and horn section walking through the door.

FWIW, I would enjoy having a good bass player at a session. At least on some of the tunes. I’m a big fan of Trevor Hutchinson. I’ve just never run into one who understood how to accompany Irish trad here locally. And a horn section would be even less likely. :)

Just found time to watch vids 2 & 3.
Same comment as earlier.

That’s "brought" it out, not bought it out. (the passed tense of buy) However, you’ll hear bought for brought, from the toffs on Antique Roadshow as well. Musically, the orchestra is OK. No worse than Irish bands with drum kits and mixing desks.

I wonder who cleverly arranged the horn parts et cetera? It’s gonna be someone who seriously understands the music. It’s not gonna be some sort of po-faced amateur with a studied indifference to, or actual ignorance of, keys, modes, dots, conventional music theory and broader musical styles in the hope that it makes them seem more authentic and pure.

Nice comment yhaal house musical evolution is not optional it just is.

Yhaal House, regarding who did the arrangements, the keyboard player in the group is Carl Hession, a classically trained arranger, so it might have been him. There is this note on Gavin’s web site about how they’re collaborating on a symphony:

"Frankie is currently taking a break from live gigging to work on the Grace Kelly Irish Symphonic Suite, which he is composing in collaboration with Carl Hession and which will premier in Monaco on March 17 2020, with the Monte Carlo Philharmonic"