Beginner concertina follow-up question

Beginner concertina follow-up question

Hello All,
I recently asked for, and received, good advice on the subject of getting a decent beginner concertina; thanks to all those who responded. The subject of having two C# buttons came up and I still have a question about it; the company that I’m about to order from (McNeela in Dublin) said they can do a C# on the push 1st row and on the pull 2nd row. I did reach out to a very top experienced and helpful player who recommended getting them in the opposite layout, i.e. on the pull 1st row, push 2nd. So before I take the plunge I’m asking if it makes a huge difference if I have to go with McNeela’s layout? I’m sure it’s not the end of the world either way, but being a complete novice on the instrument I feel it would be silly not to ask for any help you can give me.

Much appreciate any thoughts, thank you!

Re: Beginner concertina follow-up question

I assume you are referring to a 30 button concertina. The rows run from left to right (i.e., the Accidentals row, the C row and the G row. The columns go up and down. So I assume you refer to the first (center-most) column, top (accidental) row on the right hand. Most people I know, me being one of them, prefer to have C#/C# (push/pull) on the first button (center-most). My preference for the second button in would be D#/D#.
McNeela’s should be able to switch the reeds around fairly easily to accommodate whatever you want.

Thanks, David, and yes you are correct, I am talking about those two buttons. I don’t think I have the option for a C#/C# but I will double check with them. If possible I will take those options - I must admit I’m surprised at the D# recommendation, which I would have thought was a seldom-used note. Goes to show exactly where I am in this learning curve :)

Actually the D# isn’t used a lot, and then only as ‘color’. I do use it when I’m playing solo. But in the second part of Bear Island Reel (Ríl Bheara), a great reel from Finbarr Dwyer, it’s part of the tune.
On my Dipper I have one of the D#’s replaced with a press F# - the same note as the (fourth finger) F# on the left hand. That way I have that F# going in either direction. Chris Ghent is another excellent maker who uses that option, which I find very handy.

Thanks David, the F# sounds like a great idea, must remember that. But for now I have ordered a Swan and will set about the basics, looking forward to the ensuing confusion and hopefully enjoyment…
All the best.

Very good luck with your concertina journey. Like learning any new skill (even though you’re a musician already) watch out for muscle tension. Although the actual forces involved in playing concertina are very small, a surprising amount of tension can build up in arms and shoulders. I wasn’t aware, overdid it, and ended up needing physiotherapy exercises to undo the knots!
Just a bit of awareness will avoid any probs.

Thank you very much, TomB-R - advice noted. It will have been a long time since I started an instrument from scratch so will proceed with as much awareness as possible. Also, I just received confirmation from McNeela’s that they have accommodated my request completely, which is great. They have set up a D#push/C#pull on the first button and C#push/D#pull on the second - which I think covers all the good advice I got (aside from the F# part!). Thanks again, everyone - Exciting :)

I have the right hand top row index finger C# in both directions as per Noel Hill’s recommendation. It has been a great asset for playing Irish trad.

I’m hoping I have the next best thing to that, Phantom Button, though I don’t know enough to know :)
I wonder if a significant amount of players use that layout you have? Or is it even possible to generalize…

I agree with Phantom Bell Bottom. It’s fairly common. I use the C# in either direction on that 1st button and play it with either my first or second finger, depending on what follows. The D# is used so infrequently that it suffices (for me) to have the D# on the second button only on draw, using the press on that button for the low F# - same note as left hand draw F# on the low G row. Best for the F#/E/D triplet.

Haha! Phantom Bell Bottom… I will have to remember that one! :-D

I’m way too old for bell bottoms now I’m afraid.

I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled. :)