Something To Share

Something To Share

At last Sunday’s session, one of our members who has put a set together of chicken tune (e.g., Jenny’s Chickens, The Chicken Reel) found a tune called Alan’s Chicken Shop (Alan is my real name). I mentioned that I actually have a tune named after me, so she later emailed me asking for the tune so she could put together an "Alan" set. The tune I had in mind was written by a professional harper who is also a friend of mine with whom I have had the pleasure of performing. So, for kicks and giggles, I thought I would check YouTube on the off chance that some version of the tune would lurk there. Lo and behold, she posted a version just four years ago. It’s a lovely air that I can actually play on piano. I am so honored that she posted this tune so many years later, although we have remained friends through the years. The tune is called "Planxty Alan."
https://youtu.be/gzKtQHAVl_k

Posted by .

Re: Something To Share

I should mention that Shawna wrote that tune over 30 years ago. The years have been kind to this lovely lady!

Posted by .

She harped at my wedding, 30 years ago! And there was a time when we were doing a fair number of gigs together. Her skill at harping is immense, and there couldn’t be a nicer human being.

what, no Hen’s March to the Midden?

What a lovely tune! I’ve known Shawn’s for a long time, since before I played the harp, but I haven’t seen her in person for maybe 30 years. Used to play in a band with Mark. Fond memories.

Just a note about Tracie’ s post: Mark is Shawna’s husband.

Posted by .