Play a Strathspey Day!

Play a Strathspey Day!

Today is Play a Srathspey day as there’s a lot of buzz to share a strathspey on social media with the ubiquitous hashtag: #playastrathspeyday

Re: Play a Strathspey Day!

Crap, I totally forgot to get greeting cards for all my Scottish friends!

Have posted ours from our band practice this afternoon via Soundcloud and my own timeline on Facebook. Just waiting for the rapturous applause!

Every day is strathspey day 8-)

I not only played one, I submitted one!

https://thesession.org/tunes/17984

A lovely 2-part Strathspey from the Highland pipe repertoire.

To me the first part feels A Mixolydian while the second part feels E minor or G Lydian.

Never heard it played on fiddle, but I’m sure it will sound better on fiddle than on pipes, like all Strathspeys do.

(Being a piper, it might just be one of those "grass is greener" things.)

Well done Richard, and totally agree with Will and Johnny Jay - just what I said to a friend who asked if she was too late to post one: they just don’t played often enough!

Thanks! It’s a lovely traditional tune, I just can’t find a recording of it being played, due to searching "puirt-a-beul" being useless!

Pairing up the two Stathspeys Molly Connell and Puirt-a-Beul (in that order) works beautifully.

Molly Connell, a newly composed and extremely popular Strathspey, is listed on this site as a Reel for some unknown reason.