Can you identify these people?

Can you identify these people?

See here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/92071370@N07/47809378642/in/pool-session/

I have everyone in the front row (Michael Dwyer, Seamus Connolly, Mick Mulcahy, Paddy O’Brien, Tommy McCarthy, John Whelan) and Mick O’Connor on the far right, back row. I recognise a couple of others in the back row but can’t bring their names to mind.

Kudos for those who get the names! The picture is, I’m told, from a Treoir magazine.

Re: Can you identify these people?

Lucy Farr there ?

Posted by .

Could well be, Kenny!

Front row is Jimmy Sullivan not Mick Mulcahy.
Back row L to R
? Lucy Farr, Mary Flaherty,
Edmund Murphy,Johnny Hynes, Mick O Connor.

John Whelan left the UK in 1980 when he was twenty which should help to date the picture.

Posted by .

Thanks gooseinthenettles and Gonzo.

Especially interested in the Jimmy Sullivan/Mick Mulcahy mix-up. I was told it was Mick and confirmation bias set in. 8)) It does look a bit like Mick, I’m sure you’ll agree, but I’ll take your word for it, goose, thanks.

Just the two on the left to go.

Thanks guys.

I wonder if these guys would all be in the 2 "Great Altogether" and "Mighty" CD compilations CD which came out in 2015. I’ll have a look.

Posted by .

Johnny Hynes and Edmond Murphy are on the cover photo of the booklet accompanying "Altogether", so "goose" is spot on with those.
Couple of photos of Lucy Farr as well, so I think that’s settled. No sign of the mysterious 2 top left. Do we even know if they were musicians ?

Posted by .

Yes it looks like Mick, but is undoubtedly Jimmy who comes from outside Templemore.

DavidT, according to the ‘Companion’, Mick Mulcahy was in London in the 1960s, but playing in Dublin by 1969 and playing with the Brosna Céilí Band back in Kerry by 1972. I suspect your source may have been influenced by tonsorial matters.

Posted by .

Edmond (Kenny) or Edmund (gitn)?

‘Edmond’ in the text and credits of ‘IWM’ and ‘IWGA’, but ‘Edmund’ in Reg Hall’s doctoral thesis.

Posted by .

That’s how Edmund spelled his name. (not that it really matters)

Edmund Murphy came from Aclare in County Sligo and was the long-time Chair of CCÉ in Britain. He also played regularly, apparently, with Michael Gorman’s nephew (als0 named Michael).

Posted by .

Michael Mulcahy was in London late 66/67 but did not stay very long, I know him well.

Far right back row look like Brian McGrath

Nevertheless, it’s Mick O’Connor.

Posted by .

What sort of name is gooseinthenettles? Does a goose have enough feathers to protect it from the nettles? Or does she eat them? Wandering from the theme…

gooseinthenettles is looking for the ganderinthepratiehole or the geese in the bog.
What kind of name is Susan K?

Josephine Keegan in the back row wearing glasses with the fiddle

Is that a guess, or do you know that for a fact ?

Posted by .

Kenny, your guess was probably correct about Lucy Farr.

Posted by .

Treoir has Kevin Murphy on the front row, right. (But John Whelan is on the cover.)
Lucy Farr, back row w/glasses.

Posted by .

I don’t think that’s Josephine Keegan in the back row. It looks like Catherine McEvoy.
Didn’t Catherine play flute with Birmingham CCE for many years? She was presented with a Ruddall & Rose flute on her move to Ireland.
Anyhow well done on saving this unusual photo from Treoir magazine.

If you think that’s Catherine McEvoy, you need to go to "Specsavers", ma freend.

Posted by .

I think photo#432 is Vin Garbutt But i was getting fatiqued

>> I don’t think that’s Josephine Keegan in the back row. It looks like Catherine McEvoy.

sheepdip, are you thinking the younger girl might be Catherine McEvoy? gooseinthenettles has her down as Mary Flaherty.

"I don’t think that’s Josephine Keegan in the back row. It looks like Catherine McEvoy". - quoted by "sheepdip".
No mention whatsoever of the "younger girl".
Josie Keegan plays fiddle. Catherine McEvoy plays flute. Judging from when that photo was looks as if it was taken taken, if that was Catherine McEvoy holding the fiddle, she’d be over 90 by now. She isn’t.

Posted by .

Yeah, I know, Kenny. Much confusion. I just wanted to confirm that sheepdip really, really was referring to the fiddle player.

Like I said it’s Mary Flaherty.