CJ Dixon pipes

CJ Dixon pipes

I have a 3/4 set of Dixon uilleann pipes, I’m trying to find out what they are worth. He doesn’t make them anymore and no one seems to be selling any anywhere.

Re: CJ Dixon pipes

Hi Alan, welcome to thesession.org. Depending on when they were bought, a 3/4 set would have been around $3200 new, I think. I don’t really know if they would have appreciated in value due to time and the fact that CJ doesn’t make them anymore. You might poke around uilleannobsession.com and see if you can get an answer, or do like the rest of us do, and list them at what you think they’re worth and see if anyone bites!

I’m not a piper, and can’t help much more than that, but there are lots of pipers on this forum, so maybe someone with some real insight will chime in!

CJ Dixon pipes are solid pipes, and my first practice was a used CJ Dixon set. It was worth about $700 USD a few years ago. I’m guessing a half set would be around $1500 depending on the condition. Then the two regs on top of that. So maybe in the $2000-3000 range? You could just post on eBay and mention the listing here and chiff & fipple?

Nothing to do much with the value of your pipes, but I paid CJ Dixon a downpayment on a set of drones, and several years went by and I couldn’t get him to make them.

Finally he refunded my money, which I appreciate! Another pipemaker never made my pipes, and never would refund my money.

A couple factors at play here.
The first being are the pipes reeded and can be demonstrated as working well. This significantly effects the value of a second hand set. In this case even more so as the maker may no longer be active to make reeds for the set.
Second in general the market for used pipes has changed a good deal from years ago. More sets available. Lots of people giving them up. It’s the same with antique flutes. Prices are way down. I wouldn’t expect a set to sell for what you paid theses days unless by the unobtainable makers.
If the sets not going great eBay may be your best bet or offer it fairly here.
You could start by linking some photos here.
Good luck

Posted by .

Reply to dunnp: the have reeds. They have had very little use. I have tried playing them, but since we’ve moved to a remote place where there are no pipers or teachers, I haven’t continued. If I were to video, it would only to show they work, as I don’t know any tunes. How would I link pictures?

Hi Alan,
You can post pictures on imgur and link here like these:
https://m.imgur.com/a/qCDpz5m

It’s simple and free
All the best

Posted by .