Chord request (Breton tune)

Chord request (Breton tune)

Was wondering if someone could give guidance on chords for this tune? In Bmin, rather than the original Gmin.

Could make an educated guess based on the notes within the chords, but I’m a melody player, so not sure what would be most natural for a guitar or piano player. Asking for a friend.

X: 2
T: Rince Briotánach
R: reel
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
K: Bmin
Q: 1/4 = 120
FBBd dBB2 | BBBA B2B2 | FBBd dBd2 | BBBA B2B2 |
FBBd dBd2 | Bdf2 fef2 | faag fgff | e2 df2 fe2 |
d2 Be2 ed2 | BBBA B2B2 | FBBd dBd2 | Bdf2 fef2 |
faag fgff | e2 df2 fe2 | d2 Be2 ed2 | BBBA B2B2 |]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhVz2GfjtN8

Re: Chord request (Breton tune)

I havent heard this album for years- is it the one with Eleanor Plunkett on it? Anyway chords would be something like Bmin -A -G -Bmin -A -G / D -A - Bmin -A -G||
Hopefully you can hear where the tune goes into the relative major which is where the D chord comes in.

ps it might possibly resolve on an F# chord - sorry dont have time to listen again just now

Clannad play (transposed to Bm) something like:

|Bm |G A Bm |Bm |G A Bm |
|Bm |Bm D |D |Em Bm |
|Bm A |G A Bm |Bm |Bm D |
|D |Em Bm |Bm A |G A Bm |

In the |Bm D | bar the D comes on the second beat.

I’ve found this tune quite hard to navigate, but with using DonaldK’s (Thanks!) chords above as a framework, I’ve managed to come up with this. I’ve attempted to make it clear on what beat each change falls, but that should be obvious from listening, anyway. On close listening, there are occasional discrepancies in the chords between the harp and the guitar, but this is what I hear one or other of them playing:

Bm - - - | G A Bm - | Bm - - - | G A Bm - |
||: Bm - - - | Bm D - - | D - Bm - |
Em - Bm Em | Bm - A G | G A Bm - :||

Awesome, thank you everyone!

Didn’t see the repeat before Creadur.

And yes christy, it’s the one with Eleanor Plunkett on it.

With chords:

X: 2
T: Rince Briotánach
R: reel
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
K: Bmin
Q: 1/4 = 120
"Bm"FBBd dBB2 | "G"BB"A"BA "Bm"B2B2 | "Bm"FBBd dBd2 | "G"BB"A"BA "Bm"B2B2 |
|:"Bm"FBBd dBd2 | "Bm"Bd"D"f2 fef2 | "D"faag "Bm"fgff | "Em"e2 d"Bm"f2 f"Em"e2| "Bm"d2 B"A"e2 e"G"d2 | "G"BB"A"BA "Bm"B2B2 :|

Could you not just work out the chords while listening.

See original post, not for me. Cannot speak for whether they can or not, it was requested though.

That’s what I and Creadur did, gooseinthenettles, but not everyone has that facility. It’s a skill that takes a lot of practice and if you’ve had none then you’re not going to get very far. I could make a building of bricks myself but a bricklayer would do it much better and more quickly.

It’s quite a simple tune, and very repetitive. If you play guitar or keyboard you should not have a problem working it out by ear.

But if you don’t you might well have a problem. I could be wrong but my guess is that NfdlWhistler is a whistle player rather than a guitar or piano player.

If you were to play a wrong chord, surely your ear would tell you, simple.

Yes, but there are an awful lot of wrong chords and not many right chords. Making light of the difficulties doesn’t really help. It reminds me of the Monty Python spoof of Blue Peter on how to play the flute: you blow in this end and move your fingers up and down over the holes. What could be easier than that?

If you can play your instruments, it’s just a simple folk tune not a symphony.

Yes, I’m a whistler, and I won’t be playing these chords. They are for a younger player, 10-15 years old.

Not sure why this matters goose.